Saturday, June 15

UITS to unveil Web security posters parodying 50s films

Program to cast light on students' technology perils

During the month of October, IU will be participating in the National Cyber Security Awareness Campaign, warning students of personal computing risks through a series of posters imitating those of 1950s horror and science fiction films. \nEach week, a different security risk will be introduced to each of the eight IU campuses to alert students and faculty alike of the dangers that lurk throughout the Internet. \n"Every week thousands of attempts are made to probe computers," said Merri Beth Lavagnino, deputy information technology policy officer at IU. "We watch the attacks on our network and every computer connected to the IU network will be probed a few times a day." \nLavagnino, who is also a member of the national EDUCAUSE Security Task Force's Awareness and Training Working Group, said IU's involvement in this year's campaign is to help better inform students and faculty members that just updating anti-virus software is not enough to fend off hackers. \n"Our goal is to make thinking security a natural reflex," she said. "There's so much that can happen, but you can make yourself aware of the actions that will help you and someone else escape computer invasion." \nFor five weeks, UITS will be educating the IU community about risk topics such as viruses, phishing attempts, worms, identity theft and password protection. And with apathy of computer users among topics of personal security risks, the frightfully themed posters will don tips for scaring off scammers. \n"Most people don't want to pay attention until they have a problem," Lavagnino said. "We are trying to catch students' attention with these posters -- show them that security does matter."\nReleased every Monday, the series concept was created by the communication and planning department of IU, which then contracted Digital Media Services digital artist Vincent Cannon from IU-Purdue University Indianapolis to create scenes reminiscent of those from old Hollywood horror and science fiction films. \nBecause computer security issues affect everyone, a series of postcards, released along with the posters, will be sent to all IU campus faculty, Lavagnino said.\nHowever grim the issue seems, Lavagnino ensures that following steps given out during this year's campaign will have a dramatic effect upon the future of safe computing. \n"We are releasing the five topics to keep you thinking," she said. "This is a very good cross-section of hints that will make you aware of potential risks. If you follow the Web site's instruction you can almost consider yourself an expert."\nIU's involvement in the national campaign will contribute creating a large online resource for smaller colleges and universities that might not have the funding to create a campaign of their own. EDUCAUSE, a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology, will be contributing to the project to ensure people are highly educated with regard to Internet safety. \nIU is a technology leader in the education community and is often asked to be sent representatives to committees at places such as EDUCAUSE, Lavagnino said. \nThe first poster of the campaign series will be available Monday on campus as well as online at www.keepITsafe.iu.edu.