Reporter, author discusses journalism, current affairs

TERRE HAUTE -- Bob Woodward, a renowned journalist who helped link Watergate to the White House, spoke at Indiana State University's Hulman Center Tuesday evening as part of the school's annual University Speakers Series.\nWoodward, who has co-authored or authored nine No. 1 national non-fiction best-sellers, including "All the President's Men," expressed the fact that he benefited from an era when journalists had the support of editors and publishers in keeping the identity of their sources anonymous. As a young investigative reporter for The Washington Post, Woodward was able to run the story on Watergate without compromising his source. In a new memoir, "The Secret Man," he elaborates on the early years of his relationship with senior FBI official W. Mark Felt -- who was famed anonymous source "Deep Throat" -- American history's most famous anonymous source.\nThe journalistic landscape, however, looks different 30 years later, Woodward said.\nIn light of the Valerie Plame case -- which has landed Judith Miller of The New York Times in jail for refusing to reveal her sources -- Woodward discussed the value of the free press and how it is threatened, saying he would happily serve some of Miller's time.\n"People can do their jobs without sending reporters to jail," Woodward said. "Reporters shouldn't have to risk jail giving representation. That happens in banana republics, China and Russia, and that should not happen here.\n"What might do this country in -- it's not terrorism or the economy," he said. "What will do us in is, believe me, secret government will do us in. A group of people saying, 'Now we have power. We can do things our own way.'"\nWoodward noted the news media's current obsession with speed and reporting every single development to a story no matter how incremental it might be. Reporters should question why things happen and withhold judgment until they've had a chance to dig further, Woodward said.\nWoodward cited Kobe Bryant's trial in Colorado two summers ago as an example of the absurd pace of today's coverage.\n"I remember CNN's reporter standing outside the courthouse telling viewers that the lawyers aren't talking; the prosecutors aren't talking; and the judge isn't talking. She basically concluded, 'I'm here to tell you live — I don't know anything. See you in the hour.'"\nIn a question-and-answer session, Woodward touched on a variety of current subjects, including the heated process of choosing a new chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.\nWhile it appears as if John Roberts will ultimately be confirmed, Woodward said he wonders if Americans know specifics about him, especially considering his age and the potential length of his tenure.\n"We don't know enough about this man," Woodward said. "I don't know whether it's the air or what that keeps old people on that court alive, but at age 50 and given advances in technology, he might be chief justice for half a century."\nWoodward also mentioned the recent humanitarian disaster in New Orleans, claiming that the poverty of black America caught just as many journalists off guard as the rest of the country.\n"We'll point fingers and say, 'Why didn't the President know?' Well, the fact is, we didn't know either," he said. "It's partly a learning opportunity, especially for people in our business."\nHe later added that the situation in New Orleans exacerbated people's ability to evacuate.\n"(For people without the means or resources), evacuation means to hide, and that's just what they did," he said. "When the government issued an evacuation order before Katrina struck, their second sentence should've been, 'For these other X number of people, we don't know what you should do.'"\nNear the end of the appearance, Woodward made speculation about potential nominees for the upcoming presidential race, suggesting that Hillary Rodham Clinton will run for president in 2008.\n"I don't know where the flow of time will take us," Woodward said. "But I think Hillary Clinton is running. There's not proof, but there's evidence -- circumstantial evidence. Not like the weapons of mass destruction kind."\nWoodward held a book-signing after the speech. San Francisco resident Heidi Green had Woodward sign 30 books.\nGreen had the books signed as a present for her brother who teaches a journalism class at a private school.\n"I traveled (all the way from California) to be here for this," she said.