'Murderball' on a roll

Collisions in a game of ‘Murderball.’

If anything, go to see the chair. Made of aluminum beaten and molded together like something out of medieval times, the wheels are angled and ready for war. Murderball, also known as Quad Rugby or Wheelchair Rugby, is not a game for the timid. Smashing into your opponent at full speed and firing across the court with a ball, the aim of the game is to get both wheels on the other side of the line. In the film, the aim is an emotional, occasionally humorous journey towards gold.\nIn "Murderball," a documentary film directed by newcomers Henry Alex Rubin and Dana Adam Shapiro, we are introduced to a sport that does not often make the evening sports edition. Yet, after this film, that may not be a problem. Well, it will at least have me watching the Paralympics next year. The film follows the Quad Rugby Team USA and Team Canada rivalry in preparation for the 2004 Athens Olympics. Beginning with an explanation of how the game works, we learn that this is a serious business. To play, each player is categorized based on the severity of his or her impairment. A scale that ranges from 1.0-3.0, the four players must not exceed 8 points on the court. \nBeyond the rules, there is always a story and in "Murderball" it is the story that makes the film. Rubin and Shapiro show an intimate look into the heart of these players. We see past the chair, and look at their lives. Hearing the accidents and illnesses that took away their ability to walk, we realize it did not take away their ability to live. From a look at the day in the life, to a how-to educational piece on having sex, it is clear that the chair does not always get in the way. The only place that the chair needs to get in the way is on the court to stop/attack your opponent. We mostly meet Team USA, but an interesting twist is the rivalry between the team and Canada. The sport started in Canada, but the USA has been on top of the game for the past ten years. And now, one of the USA's best players is coaching for the opposite team.\nRubin and Shapiro do a good job of constructing the story and creating an interesting perspective of the lives of all the characters. The film also provides a surprisingly eclectic soundtrack, including original music by Jamie Saft and tracks by other artists like the Polyphonic Spree. Music is woven into the film, affecting the tone, and producing a sound that leaves audience members curious. In short, "Murderball" is one of those classic uplifting sports films that offers a unique and stylistic look at not holding back and ramming into life.