Saturday, June 15

Law Day to bring school recruiters to IU

Q&A sessions to address admissions to top universities

For potential lawyers, the future is coming to IU -- 105 times to be exact.\nThis Wednesday, IU will play host to Law Day, a conference containing admissions officers representing more than 100 law schools in the country. Held in the Indiana Memorial Union's Alumni Hall, IU's Law Day will is scheduled to have the largest turnout in history and will be preceded by a panel of prominent law school admissions deans speaking on "What I Really Look for in a Law School Application."\nThe event is set to break last year's record turnout of 99 law schools. Pre-law adviser and director of this year's Law Day Mac Francis said IU is attractive to recruiters from around the country because of its \nstudents.\n"We are lucky to be at IU for such an event," Francis said. "Our students have an excellent reputation of being prepared with intelligent questions (for admissions \nrepresentatives)."\nWith an expected attendance of more than 700 students, Law Day's opening statements will be delivered by a panel consisting of admissions deans Dennis Long, IU-Bloomington Law School; Barbara Andelman, Case Western Law; and Mike Burns of DePaul University's College of Law. \nSpeaking on the application process for law school, Dennis Long, IU School of Law's assistant dean for admissions, said he's never seen a major that isn't well-suited for law school.\n"Your major doesn't matter -- it's what you do with it," Long said. "Take tough courses. The most important thing that needs to be proven to us is an applicant's ability to do research." \nIn fact, Francis argues that most law schools are looking for more than just a pre-law or political science major.\n"Admission boards are looking for more than a GPA and a LSAT score," Francis said. "They are looking for interesting and intelligent people."\nFollowing the question and answer session, students will have the opportunity to speak with any of the more than 100 representatives from law schools across the nation, a figure that Long said is a big compliment to the IU campus.\n"There are lots of good schools out there, and to have them at IU, it's part of the reason we were the hottest school listed in Newsweek," Long said. "They hit the nail on the head there."\nLong attributes the turnout to IU's prestige in advanced technology. There is a better understanding of technology in every undergraduate program at IU and research can be up to 50 percent of a lawyer's daily work, so being updated is extremely important, he said. \nBeginning with the panel discussion at 9:30 a.m. and followed by a chance to meet with admissions representatives from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Francis hopes to see students being "drawn in."\n"All students, alumni down to freshmen, should attend," Long said. "Students will be given the chance to hear deans with the utmost credibility speak on a panel that is entertaining as well as \ninformative"