Sunday, June 16

BPD arrests 4 in stabbing incident

Victim survives attack late Saturday night at Lake Griffy

Bloomington police arrested four people on charges related to a stabbing that occurred late Saturday night near the Lake Griffy boathouse north of the city.\nThe 36-year-old male victim was admitted to Bloomington Hospital with a partially collapsed lung, according to Bloomington Police Department reports. The unidentified male sustained two stab wounds to the back and was last reported to be in critical condition. The hospital declined to search their records without the victim's name, noting they were not legally allowed to do so. BPD has not released the victim's name.\nAccording to BPD reports, Amy D. Boyce was charged with attempted murder. Brandon S. Sloan was arrested on the charge of battery causing serious bodily injury. Katharine L. Lewis and Jessica N. Stanger were arrested on the charge of conspiracy to commit battery causing serious bodily harm.\nA confrontation arose between the victim and suspects in People's Park, according to police reports. The victim and suspects are acquaintances, though they are not friends, said BPD Sgt. David Drake. The suspects were allegedly angered by comments the victim made about a deceased friend. \nThe police claim the suspects and victim went to Lake Griffy together, and the victim went willingly. According to BPD reports, the suspects went to the lake with the intention of injuring the victim. Sloan, Lewis and Stanger said in the report that they did not intend for the victim to be stabbed. \nThe victim was left where he was stabbed. He made a 911 call from the Lake Griffy boathouse, thinking he had only been beaten. Officers discovered the stab wounds after arriving at the scene.\nAll four suspects were found at the hospital after the fight. Boyce sustained a cut, which she attributed to a knife she was washing with other dishes. Sloan complained of a hand injury he attributed to punching a brick wall.\nThe four suspects were transported to the BPD headquarters, where Boyce admitted to stabbing the victim. Boyce contends she was forced to commit the violence by another individual who threatened to harm her if she did not, according to BPD reports. Sgt. David Drake said he believes that is untrue. \nThe Monroe County Dive Team searched for the knife used in the stabbing after Boyce reported throwing it in Lake Griffy, according to police reports. The dive team failed to locate it after hours of searching.\nBoyce said in a police report she knew the victim wouldn't die because it "takes a while for someone to die from a stabbing."\n-- Staff writer Matt McMullan contributed to this report.