SOAD's latest is 'mesmerizing'

If there was ever a band who deserved a reward for the most ridiculous musical compositions, System of a Down would win every time. Don't read that the wrong way though, because silliness is something that works extremely well for SOAD and has ever since their self-titled debut. \nMezmerize, SOAD's fourth album and first half to a second disc titled Hypnotize which drops in the fall, is at times both serious and still over-the-top. A relatively calm intro titled "Soldier Side" is just a prelude to the album's first single "B.Y.O.B" (Bring Your Own Bombs) which explodes in less than 10 seconds. Using the typical speedy riffs and stop-n-go drum grooves, singer Serj Tankian screams his anti-war lyrics before suddenly segueing into a chilled-out club groove. "Revenga" rocks hard with its galloping riffs and soaring dual clean vocals from Tankian and guitarist/back-up vocalist Daron Malakian and is the stand-out track on this album. \nPolka territory is covered on "Radio/Video" as the song bounces up and down in pure delight before the music begins spiraling and the notes speedily increase. No SOAD album would be complete without the "repetitive lyrics song" which is found on "Cigaro" as Malakian yells, "My cock is much bigger than yours/My cock can walk right through the door/With the feeling so pure!" If it weren't for the song's amazingly diverse musical structure, I'd write it off for the annoying lyrics instantly.\n"This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song" finds SOAD taking a stab at all the drugged-up musicians but isn't too convincing since the song doesn't go anywhere musically. "Violent Pornography" is full of swelling riffs, tongue-twister vocals and even has Tankian yodeling at points. \nThe pair of "Question!" and "Sad Statue" is very reminiscent of songs such as "Chop Suey!" off Toxicity or "Spiders" off their self-titled debut where SOAD decides to tune down the aggression for awhile with calm passages. "Old School Hollywood" takes a blow at the recent New Wave resurgence that the Killers and the Bravery are popularizing and while I like both of the aforementioned bands, I cannot help but enjoy SOAD using synthesizers and robot vocal filters. Mezmerize closes with "Lost in Hollywood" which criticizes the masses enchanted with the west coast, but the song is rather spoiled, as Malakian whines "All you maggots smoking fags on Santa Monica Boulevard." Musically, the song excels and would've been better off as a closing instrumental. \nWhile there is always some complaint I can make about SOAD's albums, Mezmerize is definitely their finest record yet. It's more mature than the self-titled album, stronger musically than Toxicity and more serious than Steal This Album! which means System of a Down has progressed naturally from all prior releases while still keeping to its roots. With Hypnotize only a few months away, hopefully SOAD matches the musical accomplishments found on Mezmerize.