Monday, June 17

Mini-U brings graduates back

Week allows alumni, friends to continue education

While most IU students are enjoying a vacation from classes, hundreds of adults will voluntarily spend a week of their summer participating in IU's Mini University. \nFrom June 19 to June 24, the temporary students attend 15 different two-hour classes. The week, though not limited to graduates of IU, purposefully coincides with Cream and Crimson Alumni weekend as many alumni choose to attend both events. \nStudents choose from more than 100 class topics such as art, political science, film and history. Taught on a volunteer basis by IU's most distinguished faculty, the classes allow participants to learn without the pressure of tests. Professors are rewarded with people who might be more excited to be in the classroom than most college students.\n"It's always fun because you're interacting with (the students) and they're always very enthusiastic," said William Itter, a professor in the department of fine arts who has taught at Mini University in the past. "I wish my students during the school year were as enthusiastic and had as much heart."\nJeanne Madison, co-director of Mini University, said she believes this is the major reason professors are willing to teach for free.\n"It's a very different experience from teaching 20-year-olds and it's gratifying for them," she said. "There are good questions and no one asks 'is this going to be on the test?' Many of them continue their dialogue through e-mail correspondence with participants through the next year."\nMadison also said professors must be invited by the program to teach a course, which recognizes them as one of the best or outstanding teachers at the University.\nParticipants attend the program year after year not only because of the quality of the courses and instructors but also the variety, Madison said. \n"The beauty of what we do is the fact that we have this smorgasbord," she said. "They don't have to pick a theme. They can choose 15 different classes, or follow a track like taking all art classes or science classes."\nThis year, students can choose from class topics like the geology of cemeteries, black spirituals and World War II. The choices are all different from previous year, as professors are not permitted to repeat a course already taught at Mini University. \nPeople come from all over the country come to participate in the program each summer. Last year 32 states and Canada were represented, said co-director Nicki Bland. \n"Most people are interested because they want to continue their education," Bland said. "They want the feeling of coming back to campus."\nBland said that while participants and the University strive toward a goal of life-long learning, events such as Mini University are also fun. Activities such as a picnic at the Devault Alumni Center, film showings and a trip to the Brown County Playhouse add a social dimension to the week. \n"They absolutely love it," Bland said.