Monday, June 17

Trustees approve tuition increase, fees

The trustees approved a 4.9 percent increase in combined fees on the Bloomington campus Friday for the 2005-2006 school year. The 4.9 percent included the $30 athletics fee, a $40 increase in the transportation fee and a jump in tuition. Combined fees consist of both tuition and all mandatory fees, such as the student activity, technology, athletic and health center fees.\nThe board also passed a guaranteed 4.9 percent increase in combined fees for the 2006-2007 school year, but did not choose how the money would be allocated between tuition and fees.\nThe result of next school year's increase will be a $334 rise in the cost of education for undergraduates who started in 2003 or later, and an increase of about $278 for students who started before 2003. The reason for the difference is the $1,000 fee incoming freshman have had to pay since 2003. \nLong debates ensued between students, faculty and trustees during the meeting about how the 4.9 percent would be split up.\n"This 4.9 percent cap is like a Rubix cube. Every piece affects another," said Herb Terry, co-chair of the Bloomington Faculty Council's budget affair's committee. "Unlike a Rubix cube, there is no perfect solution. You can never get all the colors to match."\nOne source of contention was the transportation fee; IU Student Association's Committee for Fee Review recommended an increase of about $40, while IU President Adam Herbert began the meeting requesting only a $20 increase.\n"The CFR wanted universal busing on campus," said IUSA President Adam Shortle. "...It's what students want, and what they wanted five years ago." \nFormer IUSA President Tyson Chastain testified to the trustees that Herbert's recommended increase would not solve transportation problems on campus, such as long lines and late buses. \nHe also said the CFR's recommended increase would allow free, universal transportation for students throughout campus. \nThe CFR recommendation was contested by a graduate student representative, as well as Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer Terry Clapacs.\n"Approving (the recommended $40 increase) will reduce the price of bus passes for 4,700 students," Clapacs said, "and spread that cost to all students."\nGraduate representative Jodi Shepherd said the 8,000 students she represents would be paying for a service they don't use because they primarily utilize parking on campus, not buses.\nHerbert changed his recommendation to agree with the CFR's after the debate, following a promise that the increase would provide students with universal transportation.\nThe final business meeting of the academic year also featured the approval of 4.9 percent increases in combined fees for IU's Indianapolis and South Bend campuses for the next two academic years.\nThe main reason for the heavy tuition increases passed for all campuses was the decreasing appropriations from the state budget many IU campuses are facing, said Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Judy Palmer. \nShortfalls in state money on the Bloomington campus included the physical plant expansion not being funded, lower operating appropriations and less overall state funding seen at the end of the second two-year period, she added.\nThe meeting also featured the confirmation of Mike Sample as the new Vice President for University Relations. Sample has long been a part of IU and has decades of experience in corporate communications and relations, Herbert said.