OSU tailback arrested for drugs

2nd player in as many weeks arrested on drug charges

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- For the second time in two weeks, an Ohio State football player has been arrested on drug charges. \nErik Haw, a freshman running back, was arrested Wednesday evening outside Baker Hall East for possession of drugs and later released with a court summons for May 27, according to Ohio State University Police. \nAccording to the police report, Lt. Andrew West was patrolling the university area near Baker Hall when he observed Haw and two unidentified males acting suspiciously. \nIn the report, University Police said West witnessed one of the individuals acting as a "lookout" and that upon seeing a marked police vehicle, that individual alerted the group, who then began to walk away. \nWest then observed Haw attempt to conceal and later drop something from his left hand, the report said. \nWest asked Haw what he had dropped and Haw indicated it was a marijuana cigarette, the report said. \n"Mr. Haw's activity was suspicious in its own nature," said Rick Amweg, a spokesman for University Police. "It wasn't the officer just arbitrarily going, 'gee, I'm going to go see what these people are up to.' He saw something that he thought was suspicious -- the fact that somebody was trying to hide or conceal something in their hand from him." \nAccording to the University Police, Hall was charged with a minor misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana, a Schedule I controlled substance. The penalty is a maximum fine of up to $100. \nIn a news release issued by the university, football coach Jim Tressel, who was attending a meeting in Chicago, said he was disappointed and that he would deal with the situation when he returns to Columbus. \nHaw will be "required to enter a management and education training program and will undergo frequent evaluation, monitoring and testing by the department's management team," which is part of the Department of Athletics' substance abuse policy, according to the news release. \nHaw, a redshirt freshman from Columbus, was rated the top running back in the Midwest and 11th-best running back in the nation in 2004 by SuperPrep, a high-school football recruiting magazine. Haw is also expected to challenge Antonio Pittman for the starting tailback position this season. \nThis incident marks the second time this month an OSU football player had a encounter with authorities over marijuana. Redshirt freshman place-kicker Jonathan Skeete was arrested in Baker Hall East May 11 for selling about half a pound of marijuana to an undercover police officer. Skeete was suspended indefinitely from the football team.