Indiana convict put to death

Killer had sought delay to donate liver to dying sister

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - A murderer who unsuccessfully sought a death sentence reprieve so he could donate a piece of his liver to his ailing sister was executed early Wednesday.\nGregory Scott Johnson, 40, died by chemical injection at 12:28 a.m. EST at the Indiana State Prison for beating and stomping 82-year-old Ruby Hutslar to death in 1985, then setting her house in Anderson on fire to try to hide the crime.\nBefore being put to death, Johnson only said, "Everyone has been professional."\nGov. Mitch Daniels Tuesday rejected Johnson's request for a reprieve so he could donate part of his liver to his 48-year-old sister, Debra Otis.\nJohnson handwrote a statement Tuesday that was released after he was executed.\n"There are those who claim that Debbie will have a new liver three weeks after being placed on the list," the note said. "I'll be watching from above and expect her to be recuperating at that time."\nHe said it was reported that the Indiana Parole Board "scoffed" at the idea of organ donation.\n"They felt that I was not sincere and there had been no change from the Gregory Scott Johnson of 20 years ago. I can understand those sentiments coming from Mrs. Hutslar's family, but am puzzled that it would come from a government board. Thanks to all of you for your prayers, I'll see you on the \nother side."\nJohnson is the third person to be executed by the state of Indiana this year, the most in any year since the death penalty was reinstituted in 1977.\nDaniels said he found "no grounds to second guess years of court rulings or to reject the recommendation of the parole board" in denying clemency.\nThe board recommended Friday that Daniels deny a reprieve, saying Johnson was guilty and should be put to death as scheduled. Some said some of the media attention about the liver donation has taken away from the brutality of the murder.\nHutslar's relatives agreed that far too much attention had been given to Johnson. Hutslar's great-niece, Julie Woodard, wants Johnson to be known as the cold-blooded killer, not someone who tried to donate his liver to his sister.\n"I want him to be remembered as a man who viciously beat a sweet woman to death -- not the man who tried to save his sister, but the man who killed Ruby Hutslar," Woodard said.\nFamily members describe Hutslar, who was widowed twice, as a kind woman who would gladly helped someone in need.\nDaniels said he accepted the sincerity of Johnson's motivation in trying to donate part of his liver, but said medical experts had advised against it, saying Johnson's sister would be better served by accepting a new organ through the conventional process.\nJohnson's attorney, Michelle Kraus, said she was disappointed that his sister's doctor had written to the governor but did not contact her even though she had a release signed by Otis.\n"It was her desire her doctor speak to me. It was her desire that we pursue this liver donation. They simply stopped returning my phone calls," she said.\nShe agreed with prison spokesman Barry Nothstine who said Johnson seemed at peace Tuesday.\n"He had come to terms with this. He was at peace with what was going to happen. He was at peace with himself. He was at peace with God. He was ready for this," she said.\nAbout 20 people demonstrated against the death penalty outside the prison Tuesday night. During a candlelight vigil that lasted about 30 minutes, people spoke about why they oppose executions.\n"We don't see any point in the death penalty except vengeance," said the Rev. Charles Doyle, chairman of the Duneland Coalition Against the Death Penalty. "Vengeance isn't healthy."\nMike Clancy, a retired Chicago homicide detective, said he is morally opposed to the death penalty. He says he especially opposed it because of what he called antics used by police and prosecutors when they believe someone is guilty.\n"I can tell you that death row is filled with reasonable doubt," he said.\nAbout 15 of the demonstrators then marched in front of the prison for about 25 minutes carrying placards reading, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" and "Murder is Never Right."\nWith Michael Lambert scheduled to be executed next month for killing a Muncie police officer and several others on death row with their appeals nearly exhausted, Indiana is on pace to have the most executions in a year since eight people were executed in 1938.\nJohnson was the 14th person executed by the state since 1977.