Social work class hopes to educate public about poverty

Students create new group to combat hunger

Most courses at IU require students to do work outside of class. Most of that work simply changes students' grades. \nThe work outside of Jeff McKinney's class, however, attempts to change communities.\nMcKinney, a doctoral student in higher education, teaches a class called "Understanding Diversity" through the IU School of Social Work. His class this semester focuses on social class and poverty, with some treatment of the poverty problem in Monroe County. So, when McKinney suggested the class establish an organization based on what they were learning, a number of students stepped forward. They formed a group dedicated to raising awareness about poverty in Monroe County, calling it "Understanding Social Class and Poverty."\n"I believe most students don't understand poverty in Monroe County," McKinney said. \nMonroe County had an 18.9 percent poverty rate in 2000, the highest of Indiana, according to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank, an organization with which the group has been working. \nMcKinney and students in the organization feel strongly about alleviating hunger and homelessness in their neighborhoods. \n"College is more than just getting a GPA," said sophomore Andrea Schaefer, a student leader of the organization. \nSchaefer believes the college experience entails experiencing new things, including those that might be uncomfortable. \nThe group strives to help students better understand poverty and solve the problems it creates. The group coordinated a Poverty Awareness Day Tuesday in the Frangipani Room the Indiana Memorial Union, and although the response was not large, "the people who have stopped by have been interested," McKinney said. \n"I think it's going well for the first time," he said. "As well as can be expected." \nThe group hopes to continue reaching out to the IU community by providing both learning and volunteer opportunities for students. Members will participate Saturday in Hunger Cleanup, a nationwide one-day community service project for students, Schaefer said. During the event, groups around the country will work at various hunger and homeless relief agencies. Then, Sunday, Understanding Social Class and Poverty then will participate in the Homeward Bound Walk, a 5K event aiming to raise awareness and funds for homeless individuals. \nLater this month, the group also will coordinate a larger, campus-wide event called Hoosier Band, which will take place April 23 in Dunn Meadow. Their goal is to raise awareness about hunger and poverty, as well as support the Community Kitchen of Monroe County, which works to eliminate local hunger.\nAlthough the group and its events are relatively small now, members have great hope for the future. \n"In the long range, we want to start having some major events so we can help support all of the organizations that help the homeless and the hungry," McKinney said. "It's not just a Monroe County problem -- it's a global problem." \nUnderstanding Social Class and Poverty is now an official student club through the Student Activities Office, so any IU student can join. Interested students should contact McKinney at jsmckinn@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Jenny \nKobiela at jkobiela@indiana.edu.