Quality Location. With the opening of Dick's Sporting Goods, local sports retailers are relying on these attributes in hope to survive and thrive

With Dick's Sporting Goods opening in the College Mall Wednesday, you'd think Smith's Sport'n Shoe would be more concerned.\nStore owner Steve Smith, however, thinks Dick's will have a positive impact on his smaller shop. \n"I like the fact that Dick's is coming into the mall," Smith said. "I like it for Bloomington and its east side."\nSmith's optimism illustrates local store owners' and managers' feelings toward the "big box" sporting goods retailer. Although many owners think Dick's will have an immediate negative impact on sales numbers, local stores are relying on higher-quality apparel and their specific locations to survive and thrive. \nAfter Dick's newness wears off, the local shops, such as downtown's J.L. Waters and Co. and Smith's Sport'n Shoe, will outlast and might even have an increase in sales after the opening honeymoon. \n"I think you can put as many Dick's in here as you want and it won't really impact us that much," said Greg Martz, general manager of outdoor apparel provider J.L. Waters and Co. "I think if stores are prepared to weather that six-to-12-month window, they may in fact be better off." \nMC Sports, as opposed to the smaller local stores, is a more direct competitor to Dick's. Both are large stores offering a wide assortment of sports products, but there are differences between the two -- namely location. MC Sports, at 3100 Susan Drive at Whitehall Crossing, is on the opposite side of town from Dick's.\nUnlike Smith, MC Sports spokesman Ed Rix said it's hard to predict whether MC Sports' sales will decline. He pointed to an example in Granville, Mich., where a Dick's opened next to an MC Sports. \nIn this case, MC Sports sales actually increased after Dick's opened, Rix said.\n"It may have been because (Dick's) was in the area," Rix said.\nSmith's Sport'n Shoe is hoping for a similar consumer overflow at College Mall. The store has been a part of Bloomington since 1952 and hopes its local flair will continue to thrive in Bloomington.\nSmith thinks his store's ability to be customer-driven and "get what's hot" will aid Smith's Sport'n Shoe's effort in competing against Pittsburgh-based Dick's.\n"The toughest thing about being a national chain is you have someone in Pittsburgh deciding what's good in Bloomington, Ind.," Smith said.\nWhile Smith's is hoping to profit by being closer to Dick's, J.L. Waters is hoping to capitalize by being farther away. J.L. Waters is located at 109 N. College Ave. on the square, and its general manager Martz said shoppers come downtown for a reason.\n"We're a lifestyle shop," Martz said. "We validate peoples' lifestyles. Dick's doesn't do that. If you think about the atmosphere in downtown Bloomington, people want to shop in boutique and specialty stores. (J.L. Waters) is for people that want that quality of experience."\nLocation won't be the only hopeful draw for Smith's and J.L. Waters. Although the stores said they do have some overlapping products with Dick's, they're relying on their higher-end, "A-grade" products to differentiate themselves. \nMany department stores grade their markets, Smith said, and he feels the Bloomington Dick's location will be a C-grade store in a third-tier market. This will be an advantage for Smith's as it sells more fashion-forward apparel than a likely "C-grade" Dick's store would offer, Smith said.\n"We're just different animals," Smith said. "They'll have basic Columbia and North Face. What we'll have is that, plus a lot more colors and a lot more styles. They tend to keep it a little more basic." \nMartz said J.L. Waters stocks brands such as Patagonia and Mountain Hardwear that vendors won't sell to Dick's. \nLocal store owners, like Smith, know the competition is there. To be successful, smaller retailers have to know the market and how to compete within it.\nThere's no need to be concerned if a store doesn't try to beat others at their own game.\n"You find that niche in that market and do a good job," Smith said.\n-- Contact Staff Writer John Rodgers at jprodger@indiana.edu.