'Major Taylor' accused of recruiting violations

Ex-Little 500 riders say they were offered scholarships to ride

Three former riders of the Team Major Taylor Little 500 cycling team are accusing the president of The Major Taylor Foundation of illegal recruiting practices, which prompted a University investigation late last year.\nThe cyclists' complaints stem from alleged promises made by the foundation's President Courtney Bishop. The former riders said Bishop told them he would provide full tuition, room and board in exchange for riding in the Little 500.\nWhen contacted about the allegations, Bishop had no official comment.\nAccording to the IU Student Foundation Little 500 riders manual, illegal recruiting is defined as "making cash payments and/or giving free room and board or other perks to students in exchange for their services as riders."\nOne of the former riders, Julio German, sent an e-mail detailing the recruiting violation allegations to high-level University members -- including IU President Adam Herbert and IU-Bloomington Interim Chancellor Ken Gros Louis -- in November 2004. \nAt the request of Gros Louis and IU Vice President for Student Affairs and Diversity Charlie Nelms, a review was launched to investigate German's allegations. Dean of Students Richard McKaig and IU Vice Chancellor Eduardo Rhodes headed the review board.\nMcKaig said the review, which has not yet been released to the public, found "a lot of miscommunication" and stated the Major Taylor Foundation needs to clarify its promises.\n"We found very little in writing," McKaig said. "I'm sure most students would love to hear they're getting a full ride to IU, but if you don't have it in writing, you don't have much."\nGerman came to IU in fall 2001 as a freshman. He said Bishop asked him to join Team Major Taylor in January 2002 as eligibility issues arose with rider Josh Weir, who was then a freshman. German accepted the offer when he was told by Bishop that he would receive full tuition, room and board in exchange for riding in the Little 500, German said.\n"It was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life," German said. "I learned about myself, but I also learned about bureaucracy and how someone could abuse and manipulate the system."\nGerman said Bishop never paid the tuition as he promised, and German's bursar bill began to grow. He said Bishop would tell his parents the payments would be made soon, but they never came. German took out student loans to pay his bills, he said, which amounted to $10,000 to $15,000 per year.\n"Courtney agreed to help pay back those loans, but he hasn't," German said.\nGerman also said Bishop made it clear that the cyclists were brought to Bloomington solely to ride in the Little 500.\n"You're only here to ride in the race," German said.\nDante Pryor, another former rider, came to IU in fall 2002 as a freshman. He said Bishop called his family at his home in New York and told them if Dante would join Team Major Taylor, his expenses would be paid.\n"I asked him if I was going to have to pay for anything," said Nina Pryor, Dante's mother. "He said, 'No.'"\nIn a letter by college adviser Sydney Cresap of Pryor's high school, George Westinghouse High School in Brooklyn, N.Y., Pryor turned down an offer from Penn State University to attend IU, presumably with a full ride.\n"A man by the name of Courtney Bishop contacted Dante about an opportunity to cycle for an African American Little 500 cycling team ... the young men would attend Indiana University at Bloomington on a full scholarship that he (Mr. Bishop) (sic) would provide," the letter reads.\nBut Dante Pryor said his fall tuition went unpaid until he was unable to register for classes. Bishop then made a partial payment, but Dante Pryor and Bishop soon had a falling out, Pryor said. \nAccording to a letter sent to Pryor by Bishop, Pryor lost his scholarship after he was hit by a car while on a bike ride in New York on Dec. 24, 2002.\n"Because of the inevitable physical therapy and recovery period which you are facing, we feel that you will not be able to prepare in the manner necessary to compete at the elite collegiate 'A' level," the letter, dated Jan. 20, 2003, reads.\nPryor now attends classes at New York University.\nFreshman Chris Scott, another former member of Team Major Taylor, came to IU in fall 2004. He said he was offered a full ride, including room and board, as long as he agreed to ride in the Little 500.\n"I had to ride in Little 5," he said. "That was the main stipulation."\nBut as months went by, Scott's bill was never paid, he said. Finally Bishop made a partial payment on behalf of Scott to the bursar after winter break, Scott said.\nThen in mid-January, Scott quit the team.\n"I didn't want to have to deal with empty promises," he said. Neither German, Pryor nor Scott were given written contracts for their scholarships. All agreements were verbal.\nIUSF Little 500 Race Director Rob Rhamy said if a team is found to be issuing scholarships to cyclists that are contingent upon their participation in the Little 500, they would be subject to penalties at Rhamy's discretion. He said the punishment could range from a time penalty to disqualification.\n"All the students they've brought here are great," Rhamy said. "They've been great for our race. They're great kids. They've done nothing but contribute positively to the race and our quest to diversify the race."\nHe said many riders are unaware of IUSF's recruiting rules.\n"They don't know they're breaking the rules by having a scholarship," he said. \nGerman, a former runner who is transferring to a college in Manhattan where he plans to revive his running career, said he came forward to bring light to a subject that has been "swept under the rug."\n"Courtney Bishop and the Major Taylor Foundation are running this program at the emotional and financial expense of his riders."\n-- Contact Campus Editor Rick Newkirk at renewkir@indiana.edu.