Kinsey Confidential

Question:\nI have what sometimes is called "capnolagnia" or "smoking fetish:" viewing a young, sexy woman lighting a cigarette, taking a drag and exhaling smoke makes me feel incredibly aroused.\nI am a non-smoker, I have never smoked nor have the slightest interest in trying it, since I am well aware of the health risks involved; further, I hate the smell of tobacco smoke and because of this I've always preferred to date non-smoking girls.\nSo to my question: is there any product that can be smoked without being harmful for health and beauty, without addiction risk, and without that unpleasant smell of tobacco smoke? I know your service is not directly related to this topic, but maybe you can give me some tip as to where I can find information about this.\nAnswer:\nWhile it's unclear how common capnolagnia (sexual arousal from watching other people smoke) is, we've certainly heard from people with this interest before now. Your question, however, is the first time I've heard from someone who has this interest but is simply looking for a safer way to experience it. I think it's a great question. \nYou clearly have heard about the dangers of smoking cigarettes which is linked to a high rate of various health problems such as heart disease, the recurrence of genital warts and all kinds of cancers.\nWhat is less often talked about are the negative health effects of other kinds of smoking. For example, research has linked marijuana with respiratory problems similar to those found among cigarette smokers including shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and phlegm. As marijuana joints contain similar carcinogens to those found in commercial cigarettes -- and often at higher levels -- researchers have found associations between smoking marijuana and cancers of the head and neck region (e.g. mouth, tongue, throat, and larynx cancers). \nIndian bindi cigarettes come in various flavors, are somewhat trendy lately and have been found in head shops and health food stores. The Centers for Disease Control has estimated about 2 to 5 percent of teenagers nationwide have tried bindis but the rates are substantially higher in some cities. And though some people think bindis are safe, researchers have found that smoking bindis is associated with higher blood levels of nicotine than smoking ordinary cigarettes.\nIn other words, there doesn't seem to be anything you can actually smoke that is safe (sorry). \nThe only option I can think of that might work for you in your sexual life would be candy cigarettes. These can be purchased online and in some candy stores. Did you ever have those as a kid? They're made of sugar or bubble gum and create a little puff of sugary "smoke." Chocolate cigarettes lack the "smoke" though they also look like cigarettes. Some lawmakers have tried to ban sales of candy cigarettes because they feel that tobacco companies (some of whom reportedly let the candy makers use a remarkably similar version of their logos on the candy packs) support sales of candy cigarettes in order to create an interest in cigarettes among young children. But if you and your partner know that -- no matter what -- you're not interested in smoking actual, risky cigarettes, then candy cigarettes might work for you sexually.\nThat said, some couples avoid actual smoke (even candy cigarette sugar "smoke") and instead integrate their smoking interest safely by telling each other stories that involve smoking, closing their eyes and fantasizing, looking at photos or watching DVDs/videos that involve someone smoking. \nIn some situations, an interest in smoking related to sexuality can be problematic -- for example, if you find that you absolutely cannot enjoy sexuality without including some element of smoking or if your partner simply has no interest (or even a disregard) for your interest. Should it ever become problematic for you, a sex therapist can be helpful in helping you (and your partner) figure out a means of sexual expression that works for you, and you can locate one at www.aasect.org, the Web site of the American Association for Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists.\nKinsey Confidential is a service of The Kinsey Institute Sexuality Information Service for Students at IU. Visit the Web site at www.indiana.edu/~kisiss