Graham Colton Band hits Indianapolis

Group plans to make new fans, 'friends' at concert

While their last visit to Bloomington was as a headliner at the Bluebird Nightclub, this time around, the Graham Colton Band will have a change of scenery.\nThe five-person pop/rock band out of Dallas is headed to Indianapolis for their show at 8 p.m. today at the Murat Theater, 502 N. New Jersey St. in Indianapolis, and are opening for "American Idol's" Kelly Clarkson.\nThe band has come to Bloomington multiple times since its first visit as the opening act for Counting Crows at the IU Auditorium in 2002. It has developed quite a fan base with its new album, "Drive." \n"Drive," released in May 2004, is Graham Colton's first full album with his band, but his second major LP. One of the band's representatives, Marty Nolan, said the key phrase when describing this album has become, "rock 'n' roll for a new generation." \n"We take a little piece of every band we've toured with and it has turned into our own sound," Colton said in a December interview with the Indiana Daily Student. \nThis sound, a product of touring with such acts as John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band and The Wallflowers, has contributed to the success the band has seen in the last few months. GCB began touring with Clarkson March 30, and has seen increased airtime in major radio markets, particularly Chicago.\nColton said this tour is different than most, but still a great experience. \n"It's amazing how we're a band that can tour with Dave Matthews Band and then go tour with Kelly Clarkson, the difference being that Kelly is a superstar and we've normally focused on bands like the Crows where they've been around for a while." he said. "Since we're not on MTV, we're continually finding out that our live show is what is taking us to all different types of shows. Kelly heard that and she wanted us to open and we're thrilled."\nIn the December interview Colton said he hopes to continue to make new fans and more importantly, new friends as they continue to tour through Indiana.\nAn avid fan, senior David Rifkin said he is looking forward to the Friday show in Indianapolis.\n"It should be a great time," Rifkin said. "Whenever they get a chance to play its fun to go see them because they are an incredible live act. It seems like every time they play they get better and better."\nAt this Friday's show, audiences can expect to experience the same atmosphere in addition to hearing the first single off "Drive," "Don't Give up on Me," as well as tracks, "Cigarette," "Morning Light" and "First Week." Audience members at tonight's show will also have a chance to meet the band after the set, as well as after Clarkson's, according to the band's Web site, www.grahamcoltonband.com, in a ritual the band has made a staple of its performances. \nColton, bassist Ryan Tallent, drummer Jordan Elder, supporting guitarist Aben Eubanks and pianist John Lancaster try to meet as many of their fans (or as they call them, "friends") after their shows.\nTickets for the concert are available at www.ticketmaster.com for either $35 or $39.50 depending on seating. The doors of the Murat Theater will open at 6:30 p.m.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Lindsay DeWitte at ldewitte@indiana.edu.