Sunday, June 16

Cherry blossoms ring in spring

The Annual Cherry Blossom Festival takes place in the heart of D.C., around the title basin of the Potomac River. It is a celebration of Japanese culture and heritage and features events for three weeks planned around the blossoming of these beautiful trees. In 1942, Japan gave the United States these trees as a gift and they stand as a living memorial.\nI am so sad to say that I only have three more weeks in D.C. On April 30th, I will pack my bags and go home to Cleveland, Ohio, a city that has nothing on D.C. My visit to the Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend made it all the more difficult to think about moving away from my favorite place.\nThis is the highest volume of tourists for the season, which makes Metro traveling nearly impossible, but my roommates and I thought it would be a good idea to take the train with everyone else.\nThe clouds finally parted Saturday morning, and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. We arrived downtown after fighting our way through the crowds of tourists blocking the escalators and Metro doors. Our first stop was the Japanese street fair and Cherry Blossom parade. \nWith the sunshine upon us, we walked from vendor to vendor checking out the Japanese merchandise. Traditional rice bowls and tea sets lined the streets, and the vendors called to us fighting for our attention. We were most interested in the food and quickly breezed through the shopping so we could enjoy our lunch. The next street smelled of teriyaki chicken and tempura fried vegetables. We devoured our lunch and walked to the Cherry Blossom parade. Thousands of families lined the street as balloons, floats, marching bands and the Cherry Blossom Queen cruised down the street. Seeing all the families made me miss my own and I was homesick for a brief moment. \nWe strolled through the streets and made our way to the monuments, where the most beautiful blossoms bloom. Springtime makes the city seem brand new, and I felt like I had so much to discover and enjoy in the sunshine. This was my first Cherry Blossom Festival experience, and my senses we overwhelmed. The delicate blooms look like snow hanging from the tree. From an aerial view, it is impossible to see the ground because the blossoms are so thick. As you look across the water near the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial, the cherry trees seem endless, and the pink and white blossoms engulf the scenery.\nI was in my own world as I tried to take in as much of scene as possible. The next day, I returned, but went to the other side of the river to Potomac Park East. This side was filled with locals running, walking their dogs and playing with their children. We walked along the water next to men and their sons fishing and barbecuing. Picnicking families lined the grassy park and people sought shade under the heavy cherry blossoms. \nAs we walked back to the car, I couldn't help thinking how sorry I will be to leave this place.