'Brothels' proves raw and moving

With all these fine films to go see currently, like "Beauty Shop" and "Constantine," it can be quite a difficult task to choose a film. Which is why it can be even more strenuous when they throw a documentary into the mix. Yet, it must be a problem in Bloomington because apparently no one chose the documentary over "The Pacifier" Friday night at 10 p.m. \nThis past Friday I saw "Born Into Brothels," which had won the Oscar this year for Best Documentary (Feature). The film was directed by Ross Kauffman and Zana Briski. Kauffman has been making documentaries since 1992, and Zana Briski is an award-winning photojournalist. The two teamed up to share the story of children who live in the red-light district of Calcutta. Briski had been living in this district for a few years hoping to learn more about the lives of women who live and work as prostitutes, but throughout her time there she continued to interact with the children of these women. After being asked questions incessantly by the children about her camera, she decided to offer them a photography class. For about two years, Briski taught them how to catch the world through a photographic eye. \nThe documentary is a combination of intimate interviews, film footage following Briski and the children in the brothels and extraordinary photographs by Briski's students of the unbelievable world in which they live. We see life in the brothels through the children's eyes rather than a visitor's because the children's photos are used to frame the story. We meet their families, hear stories about lack of hope and are invited into their hearts through personal pictures. \nThe film also captures Briski's journey to find her new friends a proper education so they have a chance to get out of the brothels. With an education, the young girls may not have to go down the road of prostitution, like their mothers, and the boys may not see drug abuse in their futures. Briski struggles to gather all of the papers and persuade schools to take children of criminals. The filming is raw, rich and brings hope to a world where dreams seem like a waste of time. \nSo even though I thoroughly enjoyed my private screening this past weekend, I hope that more people go out on the documentary limb and take a look at "Born Into Brothels." I suggest sticking around for the credits to listen, and maybe even dance, to the Indian pop song at the end.