Monday, June 17

BPD makes arrest in bank robbery

Police capture suspected Regions Bank robber after foot chase

The Bloomington Police Department arrested James M. Troxal, 29, for his alleged involvement in the Wednesday afternoon robbery of Regions Bank, 2488 S. Walnut St., said Capt. Joe Qualters of the Bloomington Police Department. \nAccording to BPD reports, the robbery began about 1:45 p.m. when a white man wearing a black leather jacket entered the bank and approached a clerk. He then flashed a note demanding money to the teller.\n"We didn't recover the note," Qualters said. "But it said something like 'Gimme the money, and no one gets hurt,' if I was to paraphrase it." \nQualters added that the note did not contain a specific reference to a gun, and police hadn't recovered any weapons involved in the robbery.\nAfter grabbing money from the clerk's drawer, the suspect sprinted from the bank, according to BPD reports. A man matching the clerk's description was then spotted heading north from the bank soon after the robbery on the 'Rails and Trails,' officially known as Clear Creek Trail, according to police reports.\nAs officers approached the suspect, later identified as Troxal, he sprinted into a nearby wooded area. He gave up peacefully after a brief pursuit. The stolen money was found and recovered in Troxal's leather jacket, according to police reports. The clerk who gave the description to the police also positively identified Troxal as the robber.\nTroxal is currently being charged with robbery and resisting law enforcement, Qualters said. \nNo bond had been set, and Troxal was still being held at the Monroe County Jail at press time, a Monroe County Jail spokesman said. \nRegions Bank could not be reached for comment at press time.\n-- Contact Senior Writer Mike Wilson at mhwilson@indiana.edu.