Sunday, June 16

Students write in election hopes

Just imagine socialite Paris Hilton as an IU Student Association off-campus representative. The halls of Ballantine would be draped in red carpet, Cristal would flow from HPER water fountains and Rick Salomon would give guest lectures in the telecommunications department about night-vision video editing.\nBart Simpson could serve on judicial board meetings and former IU basketball coach Bob Knight might have students learning the fine art of chair tossing in the Arboretum. Every other Thursday they would come together in the Kelley School of Business, all elected members of IUSA Congress.\nEach of these stars, and others, received write-in votes during the IUSA elections. However, students envisioning Knight's return to his old Assembly Hall hangout can put their dreams to rest.\nThe majority of serious write-ins were the rule rather than the exception. College Presidential Candidate Shane Merriweather received a vote for the IU Law School representative as did Vice Presidential Candidate Will Lumpkin, who received a vote for Health, Physical and Recreation representative.\nSophomore Megan Flora, less of a public figure than the written-in former student representatives and sitcom stars, received one vote for off-campus representative. Flora felt flattered by the vote, but because of her lack of knowledge regarding student government, didn't feel she would be capable holding office. \n"It was nice that I was written in," she said. "I (just) don't know much about the position."\nIUSA Elections Coordinator Derek Molter said the option of writing in candidates serves a purpose. He acknowledged the fact that some students make "fun" of the election, by writing in celebrities, cartoon stars and former IU employees.\n"This year four people ran for CASI so there wasn't a problem," he said. "Last year there were two people for four spots. People had serious write-in campaigns and won the two other spots."\nCurrent IUSA Vice President Scott Norman, who received a vote for College of Arts and Sciences representative, concurs with Molter. Norman added the majority of students who vote do take writing in seriously.\n"I think it's good for students to write in," he said. "There are positions available in smaller schools where students can win with a small amount of votes without joining a campaign or having major resources. Whatever the reason, a student didn't have a chance to join a ticket but still wants to be part of IUSA."\nOther notable write-in figures were New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton for College of Arts and Sciences representative and "Curb Your Enthusiasm"'s Crazy Eyez Killa for off-campus representative. \nHowever, some students used the write-in venue not to pay homage to their favorite celebrities, but to register their complaints with the IUSA system.\n"IUSA hasn't done anything in the four years I've been here," said one write-in vote. \nOthers simply wished to offer a bit of advice to the election officials.\n"Stop tabulating votes," requested another.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Eric Tash at etash@indiana.edu.