Rudy Tomjanovich considering resigning as Lakers coach after only 1 season

LOS ANGELES -- Rudy Tomjanovich is considering resigning as Los Angeles Lakers coach because of health reasons, a team spokesman said Tuesday.\nESPN.com reported that Tomjanovich would step down following Tuesday night's game against Portland. Spokesman John Black said that would not be the case.\n"He's considering several options and resigning is one of them. That decision has not been made," Black said. "There won't be an announcement tonight. He won't coach tonight because he's not feeling well. This has nothing to do with cancer."\nTomjanovich, who won a pair of NBA championships with the Houston Rockets, missed Los Angeles' win over Charlotte on Sunday night because of a stomach virus. He returned to the coaching ranks this season after recovering from bladder cancer.\nAssistant coach Frank Hamblen, the only holdover from former coach Phil Jackson's staff, guided the team against the Bobcats and will coach them against the Trail Blazers.\nBlack said Tomjanovich has had a sinus infection as well as the stomach virus.\n"It's health-related," Black said about Tomjanovich's absence. "He loves the team and the team loves him."\nAfter cutting ties with Jackson and trading Shaquille O'Neal during the offseason, the Lakers have been a mediocre team this season. They were 23-19 going into Tuesday's game against the Trail Blazers.\nBlack said he had no idea when Tomjanovich will be back on the bench -- if indeed he stays on the job.\nTomjanovich signed a five-year, $30 million contract last summer.\n"He has discussed this with the appropriate people in the organization," Black said. "When he does make a decision, it will be announced at the appropriate time."\nTomjanovich succeeded Jackson when the Lakers did not renew his contract. Jackson led the Lakers to three consecutive NBA championships as well as a berth in the finals last June, when they were upset by Detroit.\nThe Lakers traded O'Neal to Miami and kept Kobe Bryant after the season, re-signing the guard to a 7-year, $136.4 million contract.\nBryant sprained his right ankle Jan. 13 and hasn't played since.\nTomjanovich guided Houston to NBA titles in 1994 and 1995. He spent his entire playing career in the Rockets' organization.