Bloomington's Best Pub Grub

People go to bars mainly to socialize with friends over a few casual drinks. The main attraction of a bar, especially bars in college towns such as Bloomington, is its drink deals. It's a known fact that college students have little money, and bars that offer cheap drafts or mixed drinks will get a lot of business. But cheap food is another story. Sure, there's Taco Bell and Wendy's, and pizza places are open as late as 4 a.m. But what if your stomach starts grumbling while out at the bar, and your friends aren't quite ready to leave? Which bars have menus that can satisfy the craving and hush the growling? Which menus have options that are easiest on the wallet? \nPub grub -- small dishes that can be eaten at the bar -- normally includes breadsticks, chicken wings and fries. Many bars serve burgers and sandwiches that come with a side like fries or onion rings. But when students have been spending money all night at the bars, the cheaper the option for food, the better.\nKilroy's on Kirkwood and Kilroy's Sports Bar have similar names but do not serve the same kinds of food on special. Except for their signature stuffed breadsticks, which are 50 cents during happy hour (Monday all night, Tuesday through Friday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.) and 75 cents regularly, each bar has different deals. \n"They're popular because they're cheap. Two breadsticks fills you up," says senior Ashley Burton. "It's like a pizza in a breadstick."\nKilroy's on Kirkwood's other special is 20 cent chicken wings during happy hour. Their specials are cheaper than their counterpart, Sports, located at 319 N. Walnut St. Kilroy's Sports has the same breadsticks, but from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., people can get two for $1.25. They also offer mini burgers and a single rib for $1.25 between those hours. Some may complain about the slight increase in price from one Kilroy's to the other. However, popcorn and peanuts are provided at Sports for free.\n"Kilroy's and Sports have decent deals on food," says senior Mike Thomas. "But generally, I won't buy an appetizer unless it's on special. I save money when I get mini burgers for $1.25 as opposed to their other food options for around $5."\nNick's, at 423 E. Kirkwood Ave., usually has its kitchen busier at lunchtime than dinnertime. Its specials change daily. Kevin Burkett, manager of Nick's, says its cheapest deal is 25 cent wings all day and night on Mondays. But its most popular deal tends to be on Fridays, when the seafood chowder is $3.25 a cup and $5.25 a bowl, and a fish sandwich and fries is $5.50. \n"Our chef, Gregg Rags, makes the homemade chowder, which has salmon, shrimp and oysters in it," Burkett says. The simple homemade taste of the chowder appears to be what appeals to students. The fish sandwich's popularity can also be easily explained by Burkett: "It's just so delicious."\nAppetizers at Nick's include mozzerella sticks, chicken fingers, bruschetta, breadsticks, wings and fried mushrooms and their prices range from $4.75 to $6.\n"People get our munchie food to help absorb the booze," says Burkett.\nBear's Place also sells a lot of appetizers intended to absorb booze. Located at 1316 E. 3rd St., students generally get appetizers or sit in the front rooms for dinner. Daily specials range from $2 to $6 for lunch and dinner. A "Little Boy," a 1/5 lb. hamburger, is the cheapest for $2 on Sundays, and a wide array of sandwiches and burgers range from $3 to $6\n"Bear's is a good place for a cheap dinner," says Thomas. "The food is good. Even though it's not by the other bars on Kirkwood, it's worth it to go there."\nThe Jungle Room and Uncle Fester's House of Blooze, down the street from Kilroy's on Kirkwood at 1430 E. Kirkwood Ave., have been meshed into one big bar since The Jungle Room came about this past January. The Jungle Room has the food, however, and they boast a different sort of menu. Along with the usual pub grub, students can feast on gourmet cooking and vegan and vegetarian options. \n"We just wanted to accomodate everyone," manager Keenan Gill said.\nThe Jungle Room menu is put together by head chef Doug Talley, the former chef of Truffles (1131 S. College Mall Rd.). It includes an equal number of vegetarian and carniverous entrees, a rarity since bar menus typically just have one or two vegetarian options.\n"Not everyone who goes to the bars is a meat-eater," says Burton. "I love their Boca burgers. I think they taste just like hamburgers." \n"I haven't heard any bad responses at all to the food," Talley says. The average price of an appetizer is $5, so students must not complain about that either.\nThe Bloomington area also includes a few "bar and grill" type places located all around the downtown area. The bar and grills, such as Yogi's Grill and Bar, Scotty's Brewhouse and Upland Brewery, tend to have food that's more expensive than regular bars. Places that are a bit nicer than bar and grills, like Crazy Horse and the Irish Lion, have the same prices and sometimes higher prices than bar and grills. With a college student's income, eating at places like these would most likely be a rare treat, mainly when parents come to town. \n"Yogi's has lunch specials every day. They have different foods on special each day, but each one is $5.50," senior Beth Rohner says. "I'm an art student, so I'm out that way by the McCalla building. When I get a break in classes I'll go over there sometimes. It's mainly burgers and sandwiches, normal lunch stuff."\nScotty's Brewhouse has two regular lunch and dinner specials; 50 cent chicken wings Mondays and 75 cent tacos on Tuesdays for lunch and dinner. Other specials vary week to week.\n"I always get the bow tie pasta salad at Scotty's," says senior Sarah Sheldon. "For me, eating there is worth it, because their food is just as good as it is at places like Malibu Grill."\nMost bars in the Bloomington area serve food and have lunch and dinner specials available. The college students' budget may not be able to afford every special offered, but with the variety of food and prices, there's sure to be something for everyone.