With NHL lockout, IU hockey fills void

With a season-ending player lockout in the NHL, Hoosier hockey fanatics haven't been able to get their fix on TV this year. But for those in Bloomington with ice in their veins, some solace can be found at the Frank Southern Ice Arena, located off of South Henderson Street The IU ice hockey team has continued its dominance at the arena with a 7-1 home record. The team's Friday 14-1 victory over Purdue has continued its home advantage.\nComing back from a sabbatical last year, head coach Richard Holdeman said he has been focused on rebuilding for the team's success. But in the meantime, a 11-5-2 record ain't too shabby, he said.\n"I'm real pleased. When I was gone, I knew we would have some things to work through and some rebuilding," Holdeman said. "A lot of guys I didn't know you came in last year and I've been real pleased and surprised by some of these players.\nHoldeman said he was lucky to have so much youthful talent on the squad. Freshman Chad Fiala is second to junior Reed Schafer in scoring this season with 33 points. Freshman Dan Karlander has also been a presence with 27 points this season.\nScoring hasn't been a problem at thus far, with five players averaging about two points per game. Right now in the season, Holdeman said he's more worried about stepping up the defense. The team has only had two shutouts and has relied more on out-scoring opponents than guarding them.\n"Offensively, our production is fantastic," Holdeman said. "We've just given up too many goals in these games. We are just trying to work on our defensive play on the team. When you have a team like us and you are so involved in a lot of offensive, you tend to give up a lot on the defense."\nWith only six games left before their conference tournament, including four home games, the Hoosiers are looking to continue their dominance in the hope of tournament success.\n"Things are in the up and up with the team," Schafer said. "We just are in the home stretch before the national tournament and we need to keep it going. The team chemistry is clicking real well and this is a great time for the team to come together."\nClub sports often feel overlooked, Schafer said, because they don't receive much funding from the University. Holdeman said IU's RecSports department gives the team $6,000 a year, but the costs of $90,000 per season can be daunting. \nSchafer said all of the players pay $1,200 in team fees and participate in fund-raising to pay for equipment, travel and rink fees. With such a financial impact, Schafer said all of the players are just as committed to the team as varsity hockey players at other schools. But what is very exciting for the team is the support for the community. Attendance at the rink averages in the hundreds and at some games there is only standing room available. It's this audience support that has really added to their home advantage, Holdeman said.\n"The rink isn't that big, so everybody is really that close to the action," Holdeman said. "You can't appreciate how fast it is how close to the action. The audience has a great time and we really appreciate their support."\nSchafer said he knows a lot of hockey fans bummed by the NHL lockout, but knows even more who are still enjoying the sport at their games.\n"There's a lot of losers in this whole NHL ordeal. A year going on without hockey hurts the sport even more," Schafer said. "There are loyal fans in Bloomington. Attendance keeps rising at our games. We're still playing and people are still coming and having a great time."\n-- Contact Sports Editor Adam \nAasen at aaasen@indiana.edu.