Local artists rock for relief

Concert held at Buskirk to benefit tsunami victims

Musical artist Paris started off his Thursday-night performance at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater with an emotional poem recited by a friend. The poem, as well as Paris' entire set, was dedicated to the tsunami victims in Asia as a part of the Tsunami Relief Benefit Show. All of the proceeds raised by the concert are to be sent to the Red Cross.\nThe band Salaam, also featured at the benefit, has historically been eager to acknowledge Eastern issues.\n"We have always had humanitarian aims in our philosophy," said Dena, Salaam's violinist. "I would love to be able to go there and give lots of money, but as a musician this is something we can actually do." \nBrandon Williams, member of the Indiana Public Interest Research Group and head coordinator of the concert, said that groups campus-wide have pitched in to help the victims.\n"In no way are we the primary student group for tsunami relief," Williams said. "There are many other student groups involved."\nINPIRG rented out the Buskirk-Chumley Theater for the show, and the result was a low-key and touching commemorative event. E.J. Ernsberger, the Buskirk-Chumley Tech Director, noticed a different mood at the theatre Thursday night.\n"It's really quite subdued," said Ernsberger. "It's usually a lot more noisy and rowdy."\nA unique crowd emerged for the special occasion, including Bloomington resident Julia Reardin.\n"I don't come out to things like this often," said Reardin. "If I'm going to come out and spend money on something, it might as well go to a good cause like this, rather than just to corporations." \nJenn Christy was the first act to perform. Her bright, throaty voice, along with her three-person, jazz-rock rhythm section, played as if they were on a mission.\n"This is an excellent reason to be listening to music," said Christy, addressing the crowd between songs. "There is never enough money to make up for 200,000 lost lives overseas." \nParis, who performed after Christy, was followed by the piano-folk music of Sophia Travis. The last act to perform was Salaam. \nAll proceeds from the concert are going to the Red Cross specifically for tsunami relief. Christine McGinley, coordinator of community events for the Monroe County American Red Cross, has appreciated the campus-wide readiness to lend a financial or spirited hand to the victims.\n"Often times we end up being the primary support group, although it is not our goal to be the most important organization for humanitarian aid," said McGinley of her organization. \nAccording to McGinley, the campus sorority Chi Omega held a vigil in recognition of the disaster, the International Business Association held a relief concert at Kilroy's Sports Bar and the Indian Student Association has also participated in the relief effort through the Red Cross.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Michael Beal at