Hoosiers rebound with sweep of East Coast foes

Junior guard paces Hoosiers in wins against Maine, BU

After a tough loss Monday night to Indiana State University 66-59, the Hoosiers hit the road this weekend to take on a pair of foes from the American East Conference -- the University of Maine and Boston University. IU (5-3) was victorious in both games 62-60 against Boston and 67-59 against Maine. \nBut it wasn't easy.\nSunday in Boston, the Hoosiers got all they wanted from the Terriers as IU eked out a 62-60 win. \nClutch free throw shooting saved the day. With the game tied with 2.5 seconds left, junior guard Cyndi Valentin was fouled. After uncharacteristically missing three of four free throws, Valentin sank both to push IU in the lead by two. BU (3-3) had one last chance to tie or win the game, but an errant three went up and over the backboard, ending the game and sending IU out of Case Gymnasium with a victory. \nAfter missing a chance to seal the game, getting another opportunity was good, Valentin said.\n"It was surprising, especially with just 2.5 (left in the game)," said Valentin, who finished with 20 points. "I was just trying to get a shot up because there was just enough time to. I was relieved when I had another opportunity to hit the two free-throws."\nIt was a dog fight for the Hoosiers throughout the game. After grabbing a 19-9 lead to start the game, IU went cold in the second half and the Terriers outscored the Hoosiers by 12 to end the half and take the lead going into intermission, 29-27.\nThe second half continued like the first as both teams exchanged leads as IU was up 39-37 before the Terriers went on an 8-0 run, moving ahead 45-39. \nThe Hoosiers didn't quit as they whittled the lead down and took the lead in the final minutes, eventually holding on for the win behind timely shooting and a solid day on the boards, out-rebounding the Terriers 39-25.\n"That was the key to our defense," senior forward Jamie Gathing said. "It feels good to know what we have to do on the road to win."\nBefore heading south to Boston, IU first tangled with the Maine Black Bears (3-3) en route to its first road win of the season, 67-59.\nValentine continued her hot streak leading the Hoosiers with 28 points, going 12 for 12 at the free throw line. Over the past three games, Valentin has scored 78 points. The team had success all night from the free throw line going, 24 of 26, all in the second half.\nGetting to the line proved to be the difference after tight first half, IU coach Kathi Bennett said.\n"The key to the game was us getting to the free throw line," Bennett said. "We didn't get to the line in the first half and what we did accomplish in the second half was the difference in the game."\nAfter having a lead as big as 23-9 in the first half, Maine knocked the lead down to five at 33-28 going into the break.\nIU had a comfortable lead throughout most of the second half until the Black Bears made a 9-4 run with less than two minutes to make it 61-59 with 32 seconds remaining. Six free throws down the stretch finished off the Black Bears and provided IU with the win.\nIn the process of the two wins, the Hoosiers picked up their first two road victories of the season, along with experience for the rest of the season in Big Ten play, Bennett said.\n"It was a long weekend. I'm definitely glad to get home," Bennett said. \n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.