The winds of change?

The strong wind you felt Saturday was a result of the changing season, but it was also a collective sigh of relief that came from Gerry DiNardo and his coaching staff on the heels of the Hoosiers' first Big Ten victory this season. The win was the Hoosiers' second victory over a ranked team this season, and the last time the Hoosiers beat two ranked teams in one season was when the team defeated Michigan and Ohio State in 1987.\nIt appeared the Hoosiers were destined for another loss after surrendering 14 first quarter points. The Golden Gophers scored on their first two consecutive drives and were moving the ball effectively through the air and on the ground. But Minnesota didn't count on DiNardo to open up his playbook a little and to vary up the rushing attack by infusing Chris Taylor and Yamar Washington into the scheme. It also didn't hurt that quarterback Matt LoVecchio found six different targets to throw to, or that tailback BenJarvus Green-Ellis had his first 100-yard game since the Hoosiers traveled to Lexington, Ky., Sept. 18.\nAbove all though, I believe the fate of the Hoosiers in this game depended on one play that was made at the beginning of the second quarter. Driving down the field in attempt for a third score, Golden Gopher quarterback Bryan Cupito dropped back and fired a pass to his receiver along the right sideline. With the high speed winds and some good intuition, junior safety Will Lumpkin got a jump on the ball, made the pick and returned it 42 yards, giving the Hoosiers six points and all the momentum they would need to win the game. It's a shame that just 22,282 people were in attendance for Homecoming and for the Hoosiers' third win of the season.\nI can't believe only 22,282 people went to this game. You know how bad that is? That's less than half the stadium capacity. That's 5,000 less people than were at last year's Homecoming game which at that time set an IU record for lowest attendance at a Homecoming game. Now, a new record has been set. Congratulations. I'm not sure how fewer fans are going to the games despite the improvement in play of IU. I do know a lot of people who are able to make it to the tailgate, only to spend the whole time drinking in a field and listening to the game on a car radio. \nCome on people. I love to tailgate just as much as the next person, but I also like to watch football and support the Hoosiers, and they could use all the support they can get.\nThis IU team is 3-5 overall which is good when considering the fact the team only won two games all of last season. The Hoosiers' next two games are against the hapless Fighting Illini and the once great Penn State -- two very winnable games for IU. Fans, do your best to support the Hoosiers and show up to a game once in a while. At least the team is beginning to show up.