New book displays local art

The Bloomington Chamber of Commerce unveiled its 2004 "Bloomington Sketchbook" Friday night at Gallery North on the Square. "Bloomington Sketchbook" is an art book dedicated to the works of local artists. Chamber of Commerce Vice President of Programs Sara McGoun said the book took two years to organize. \nFriday marked the first public display of the "Bloomington Sketchbook" and its contents. \n"About every month, (artists) bring in another piece for display, and this is the first time that all of these artworks have been up (together)," said artist David Shipley, who displayed several sculptures.\nSandwiches and desserts where provided by Sam's Club with Oliver Winery selling drinks. \nThough most patrons came to see works of friends, others came purely to be entertained by the artwork. \n"It is a great experience for me to apply what I am learning in class," said sophomore Kim Valenta, who works for the Chamber of Commerce and helped organize which artists would be included in the book and display.\nSome patrons came with specific intentions of buying the "Sketchbook." Elizabeth Sturgeon is a local painter whose artwork is displayed in the "Sketchbook." Her mother drove all the way up from Florida to see the display, and her two sisters drove from Chicago and Columbus, Ohio.\n"I'm very excited to come here and see her artwork," said Sturgeon's mother Kathleen Thompson. "I plan on buying the book."\n"Bloomington Sketchbook" includes a wide variety of media and subject matter from sculptures and jewelry to paintings and photographs, from images of everyday life to the realm of abstract imagery.\n"It was nice to pay homage to Bloomington," said Suzanna Hendrix, who had her artwork on display.\nHendrix displayed a painting of a band dressed as Santa Clauses to play Christmas carols and a painting of the corner of Sixth Street and College Avenue, right outside of Gallery North on the Square.\nThe artwork will be displayed until the next exhibition opens Dec. 3. The 2004 "Bloomington Sketchbook" is on sale for $37.95 at Gallery North on the Square until Friday. T.I.S. Bookstore, Borders and the Chamber of Commerce will continue selling copies.\n"I am very happy with tonight's opening," said Kathy Weigle, vice president of membership and advocacy. "It was very fun."\n-- Contact staff writer Benjames Derrick at bderrick@indiana.edu.