Key players attract managers

Pedro, Sosa, Johnson among coveted free agents

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Pedro Martinez, Sammy Sosa and Randy Johnson figured to attract plenty of attention once all 30 general managers got together Monday and set up shop for their annual meetings.\nMany of the general managers had already arrived at the ritzy oceanfront hotel by the time some other prominent guests -- members of the heavy metal band Metallica -- checked out. Quickly, the baseball folks got down to business.\nIn the first trade of the offseason, San Diego sent outfielder Terrence Long and pitcher Dennis Tankersley to Kansas City for pitchers Darrell May and Ryan Bukvich.\nAlso, the Montreal Expos -- still operating under that name, but expected to become the Washington Nationals real soon -- cut reliever Rocky Biddle. Count the San Francisco Giants among the teams that came to Florida looking for a closer.\nBesides deals, there are other things to talk about during these five days. There will be a discussion about moving the July 31 trade deadline, and the topic of instant replay also was listed on the agenda.\n"I think people want to see that the umpires get it right," said Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations. "I think the postseason proved they could do it without instant replay."\nPlus, there might be a debate about post-series hugs and handshakes, such as what took place between the St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers after their first-round NL matchup. Fact is, a lot of old school executives didn't like it too much.\nAlong with the GMs, there was at least one prime player in town. Scott Boras, who represents free agents Carlos Beltran, Adrian Beltre, Derek Lowe, Jason Varitek, Magglio Ordonez and J.D. Drew, breezed through the lobby.\n"I'm late for another meeting," he said.\nTraditionally, the GM gathering serves as a precursor for the winter meetings, to be held Dec. 10-13 in Anaheim, Calif.\n"This is where you can lay the groundwork," Atlanta GM John Schuerholz said. "I don't think you'll see a lot of action here because there are too many dynamic free agents still out there."\nCarlos Delgado, Nomar Garciaparra, Troy Glaus and Martinez are among the elite players eligible. Only their former teams can talk money with free agents until Friday. Just to be sure, baseball sent out a two-page memo to clubs last week reminding them no collusion is allowed on offers.\nStung by Boston in the AL championship series, the New York Yankees figure to make an impact sometime before opening day. That could mean trying to lure Martinez away from the World Series champion Red Sox and perhaps making a trade to get Johnson from Arizona.\nYankees GM Brian Cashman said he had spoken to most teams before flying south, with talks in the initial stages.\n"The way these winters have gone, things don't move too swiftly," he said.\nBefore tinkering with the roster, the Yankees might solidify their coaching staff. Don Mattingly plans to return and it looks as if pitching guru Mel Stottlemyre might also be back. Former big league reliever Neil Allen could become their bullpen coach.\nSpeculation kept swirling about a blockbuster trade that would send Sosa from the Chicago Cubs to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Shawn Green in a swap of big hitters.\nBut Sosa's contract is complex, and his agent did not foresee the slugger going anywhere.\n"I just think it's unlikely," Adam Katz said. "There are too many intricacies involved. And besides that, no one has called me. No one. I think I would've heard by now"