Monday, June 17

IU routs Bellarmine in exhibition

Ewing sparks team off bench in 101-64 victory in preseason opener

Son resembled father as Pat Ewing Jr.'s 17 first half points propelled IU to a 101-64 win against Bellarmine University in the Hoosiers' first of two exhibition games.\nThe sophomore Ewing came off the bench and replaced senior Mike Roberts four minutes into the first half. After scoring his first basket on a 12-foot baseline jump shot, Ewing had the slumbering Assembly Hall crowd roaring with two thunderous drunks in a minute's span halfway through the first half.\nThe first slam was a three-point play when he dunked over a Bellarmine defender. The second dunk was a rebound-follow, skying over two defenders.\nEwing, who finished with 22 points, said he came in with a lot of energy.\n"That's my mindset every night," Ewing said. "Not just tonight. I need to make an impact every night. That's how it's got to be. That's how every player should be. You've got to make an impact if you want your team to win."\nSophomore Errek Suhr deposited IU's last impact of the first half with a three-pointer that sent IU into the break leading 48-32.\nFollowing halftime, any hopes of a Bellarmine comeback were quickly erased as the Hoosiers erupted into a 17-0 run to extend their lead to 69-41 with 10 minutes, 29 seconds left in the break. From then on it was coasting time as the Hoosier bench emptied and IU eclipsed the 100-point mark. Junior Sean Kline was the only Hoosier dressed who didn't play as he's been hampered by a sore knee.\nBellarmine coach Chris Pullem watched the Hoosiers practice last year and said the difference between last year's team and this year's team is remarkable.\nEspecially Ewing Jr., Pullem said.\n"I hope I never see him again," Pullem said. "Last year he reminded me of Bambi. I would expect great things from him this year."\nDavis said Ewing is remarkably improved this season versus last. He credited IU assistant coach Kerry Rupp's work with the Hoosier big men.\n"Pat has tons of potential," Davis said. "We all know that. What we're trying to do is teach him to be disciplined and not get caught up in the excitement of the game. Coach (Rupp) worked with him on his footwork and not playing out of control. I thought tonight he played well."\nDavis also said that it's been great for IU's big men to go against senior Marco Killingsworth in practice because they face a "really good big man everyday" in practice.\nThursday night was the much anticipated debut of the Hoosiers' highly touted freshman class. Three freshmen debuted for IU, and it didn't take long to see the talent.\nOn his first ever possession as a Hoosier, freshman Robert Vaden drained a three-pointer from the left wing off of an assist from junior Bracey Wright. Vaden finished with seven points and five assists.\nFreshman D.J. White sprinted out to 13 first half points before sitting most of the second half because of leg cramps. White finished with 15 points and three rebounds.\nFreshman A.J. Ratliff sat the first 13 minutes of the first half before coming in and picking up two quick fouls. The Indianapolis native scored his first Hoosier basket with under 10 minutes to play and totaled seven points and three assists.\nThe other two freshmen, Lucas Steijn and James Hardy, did not play. Steijn sat because of disciplinary reasons resulting from an illegal consumption charge in September. \nHardy, though still in football season, sat at the end of the bench in street clothes.\nOne of IU's goals coming into the season was to score more in transition. In the past, Davis said, 10 percent of the offense was scored in transition while good basketball teams' score 35 to 40 percent of plays in transition. \nAnother offensive goal for the Hoosiers was making the extra pass. Thursday night, the Hoosiers had 19 assists, lead by Vaden's five and junior Marshall Strickland's four.\nDavis said Strickland, who finished with 11 points and two turnovers, has been a great leader for the Hoosiers. One of Strickland's assists came on a transition break where he lead Ewing for another dunk and the last of his 22 points.\nStrickland made the extra pass and the former NBA all-star's son knew just what to do with it.\n"I thought Marshall Strickland played wonderful," Davis said. \n-- Contact sports editor John Rodgers at jprodger@indiana.edu.