Team bowls over Boilers in Brickyard

IU and Purdue have one of the largest rivalries in all of collegiate athletics. Beating Purdue is one of the main highlights for any fan of a Hoosier team. But this rivalry does not stop on the basketball hardwood, football field or the soccer pitch. Any time the Hoosiers and Boilermakers square off, it's a big game. Intensity for the in-state rivalry escalates further when the two meet up with a championship title on the line, no matter what the sport.\nAfter two intense days of competition, the Boilermakers were the only thing standing between the IU bowling team and the Brickyard Classic title Oct. 16 and 17 in Indianapolis. After individual play Saturday, the Hoosiers sat in first place with 5,885 pins. Sunday's docket consisted of four Baker matches, where every member bowls two frames during a game. IU put together a 3-1 record during Baker match play, good enough to earn them a date with the Boilermakers in the final. IU went into the final with a 170-pin deficit and only four games to catch up to Purdue. \nAfter a solid afternoon of bowling, IU went on to win the match by 20 pins, spearheaded by the play of senior Bryan Komornik, who proved instrumental in the Hoosiers' championship. Komornik's total score of 1,274 during the weekend earned him a spot on the All-Tournament team.\nIU has a rich, 41-year bowling tradition that has had its share of successes. The Hoosiers have graduated five All-Americans, won numerous tournament titles and made many Nationals appearances. However, the Hoosiers are still searching for that elusive first national championship. \nThe team is sponsored by the Indiana Memorial Union and Classic Lanes of Bloomington. The IMU provides the team with uniforms, a travel budget and free bowling. Classic Lanes also provides free bowling for the team.\nAn IU women's bowling team has also been newly formed this year. The inaugural squad consists of a group of talented young bowlers who finished in 10th place at the Brickyard Classic and look to improve as the season continues.\n"We didn't play our best last weekend, but we have a lot of new girls who are getting better," said senior team member Dee Tchir.\nWith Nationals not coming until March, the Hoosiers will look to keep the momentum of the early tournament title going Nov. 6 and 7, when they travel to Marietta, Ga., to play in the Southern Classic.\n"We have a lot of guys who sat out a year who are back," said senior team captain Robby Spigner. "This team has a lot of experience, and we are looking forward to a successful season."\n-- Contact staff writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.