Please, protest with purpose

Has anyone told the anti-Bush protesters who were on Kirkwood and Indiana avenues Tuesday afternoon that Bush will likely win our state? It doesn't seem like it. People can yell, scream and "honk against Bush" all they want, but it just isn't going to make a difference in the Hoosier state. \nI fully support the protesters' rights to protest and, in many ways, am proud of their initiative to go out and let their voices be heard. But what good will protesting on a liberal college campus in a liberal college town do? Face it, Indiana's 11 electoral votes will go to Bush.\nIf the people against the president really wanted to make a difference, they would try to persuade those who live in areas that have a good chance to really affect the results of the election. Just next door to the Hoosier state, we have one of the most important swing states this election -- Ohio. If you want to make a real difference this election, travel a few hours to the east. Even some other important states with large numbers of undecideds -- Minnesota, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania -- are within a day's drive from IU. Yet people still focus on the presidential election in a state where such action doesn't really matter.\nWhat really bothers me, however, is the fact that people seem to be focusing too much attention on the presidential election. I wrote a column about a month ago talking about similar issues. I sarcastically suggested people don't know how our government works. I think many of you do understand it. I just want you to act like it. \nIf you want to spend time and energy trying to persuade others about candidates, please focus on important races that do matter here in Indiana. \nOne of those races is the race for the U.S. House of Representative for B-Town's district -- the Indiana 9th. The race between Democrat incumbent Baron Hill and Republican challenger Mike Sodrel is likely going to be a close one. When the two faced each other in the 2002 midterm election, Hill won with only 51 percent of the vote, compared to Sodrel's 46 percent. \nThe two candidates differ on some issues, too many of which I would think those living and protesting in Bloomington would care about. For instance, Sodrel supports rather conservative measures, such as a constitutional amendment to protect traditional marriage. He is also against allowing the United Nations to monitor U.S. elections. \nAnother very important and very close race in Indiana is for governor. Democratic Gov. Joe Kernan is facing Republican challenger Mitch Daniels. According to a South Bend Tribune/WSBT-TV poll released Tuesday, Daniels had just a three percentage point lead over the governor with 48 percent, compared to Kernan's 45 percent. The two gubernatorial candidates, like those for the District 9 House race, differ on a variety of issues, particularly the economy.\nSo, I ask again, why are you anti-Bush people spending so much of your time in Indiana focusing on Bush? I applaud people who have an opinion and feel comfortable voicing it. That is one of the principles upon which our society and country are based. But, if you are going to do it, do so in a smart way.\nOne of the photos of the protests featured on this newspaper's front page Wednesday was of a protestor's sign that looked like it depicted Bush with a crown on his head, as if he were king. Unless people realize the way our government works and try to make changes in intelligent and informed ways, that picture may not be far from a future truth.