'Odd Couple' always a good laugh

Written by Neil Simon, "The Odd Couple" was first performed in 1966. In nearly 40 years, the play has been performed many times and has been adapted into a screenplay. The inspiration for the play came from Simon's life. In 1962, his recently divorced brother moved into an apartment with another divorced man.\nThe strength of the story lies in the characters. With this story, Simon created characters who are flawed and believable -- characters whom one cannot help but root for. The characters and the challenges they face are just as applicable today as they were nearly 40 years ago. The story is familiar to most people who have ever had a roommate whom they cared for but would also like to strangle at the same time.\nIn 1968 "The Odd Couple" was a comedic hit film staring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. This movie is one of my all time favorites. The acting team of Lemon and Matthau is difficult to beat, so I had my doubts as to how much I would enjoy the play. \nThe acting team at the Brown County Play House does the movie and story justice. Charles Goad plays the role of Felix Ungar, the soon-to-be divorced neat freak. Felix was Lemon's character in the film. Goad has extensive acting credits to his name, including a part in the film "Catch Me if You Can." \nMany times during the play, it seems Goad channels Lemmon's spirit. His mannerisms and body language echo those of Lemmon. Goad is able to realistically express the Felix's feelings and the internal struggle.\nRob Johansen plays the role of Oscar Madison, the recently divorced slob. Matthau played Oscar in the movie. Johansen also has considerable experience from many acting roles in plays.\nWhile Johansen's portrayal of Oscar did not resemble Matthau's portrayal of Oscar, his depiction was also believable. \nThe play was a great joy to watch. The acting was superb and I never felt it was forced, or otherwise contrived. And while I am still a big fan of the movie and no one can replace the joy of watching Lemmon and Matthau, this production of the play is fantastic and quite delightful.\nFor those who have not been to the Brown County Playhouse, it is well worth the drive. The 600-seat theater provides a comfortable venue with great views of the semi-round stage. There is free parking available a block south of the playhouse. There are also numerous restaurants and shops in the direct vicinity.