Daniels greets IU supporters

'My Man Mitch' spends face time with students at Arboretum

Republican gubernatorial candidate Mitch Daniels dropped in on IU Tuesday, and a sea of green-shirt supporters swarmed.\n"The fact that he showed up proves he's put up a pretty relentless attack to get students interested," senior Ben Stewart said. \nDaniels joined a bevy of students near the entrance of the Arboretum located at Fee Lane and 10th Street just before 2:30 p.m. to answer questions, shake hands and sign green shirts and placards. For nearly two hours, he spoke about the topics that have framed his campaign -- jobs, the "brain-drain" and an end to dirty politics.\n"I believe among the most under-utilized resources in Indiana is our academic leadership," Daniels said. "Our state is blessed with a high intellectual capacity, and I'm amazed at how little engagement there is."\nHe also described his campaign's three main objectives: reversing Indiana's economic decline, bringing an honest government into power and putting an end to "slime politics."\nBut this visit came to a place where voters are sparse -- college students deliver historically poor turnouts at the polls.\n"I go to a lot of places where I know there will not be many votes for me," Daniels said. "But if I become governor, I become governor for everybody in the state."\nThe IU College Republicans joined Daniels at the meet-and-greet to show support for the Republican candidate. IUCRs Chairman Angel Rivera said the visit reinforced Daniels' stance as a candidate who cares about the college student.\n"I think he shows where his priorities are," Rivera said. "He's the only candidate I can think of running for office who makes students the most important part of his campaign. That's what makes him special to us."\nBefore Daniels arrived, a handful of Kernan-Davis enthusiasts set up shop near the Arboretum entrance to hand out Kernan mailers and stickers to passers-by. Fewer remained throughout the day as the green mass grew.\n"We feel like the governor can make better decisions for the state over the next four years," said Kernan admirer and freshman Adam Jones. \nAt one point, a Daniels supporter, clad in a green "My Man Mitch" T-shirt, asked a Kernan campaigner if he wanted information about "the next governor of Indiana."\nMotorists exhibited similar partisanship as they passed the crowd, which reached upwards of 100 people throughout the afternoon. Some drivers honked their horns in a proud display of affection for the Republican, while one booed and held a hand out the window -- with a thumb pointed toward the ground.\nBut Daniels, the father of an IU freshman, had nothing but flowering compliments for the city of Bloomington.\n"When people talk about a livable college town, Bloomington's hard to beat," he said. "Nature gave you a head start on West Lafayette."\nDaniels supporters offered similar niceties about the candidate. Stewart said Daniels' several appearances in Bloomington make his voting decision an easy one.\n"This is the third or fourth time I've seen him," he said. "I haven't seen Kernan here once."\nKernan campaign spokesman Scott Downes said although Kernan has visited IU in the past, he wasn't sure if the governor would make a stop in Bloomington before the election.\n"I don't know," he said. "We have a lot of travel plans through the lead-up to the election."\n-- Contact senior writer Rick Newkirk at renewkir@indiana.edu.