Rhino's offers creative outlet

Bloomington's nonprofit, all-age music venue, Rhino's, offers more than music to local teenagers and IU students. With afternoon programming, Rhino's, located at 325 ½ S. Walnut St., is a place where teens can hang out with their friends and role models. The club puts out a weekly radio show and organizes weekly live music events.\n"We welcome everyone," said Alison Holen, the radio supervisor. \nHolen was a Rhino's kid herself. She started coming to Rhino's when she was 17 years old, and now at 26, she works there. Holen said she feels her work at Rhino's is important. \n"(I) believe in the cheesy 'it takes a village to raise a child' thing," Holen said. "Traditional educational forms do not cover the gamut of what teens need to know for life. So many are latchkey kids. They need this place."\nRhino's has expanded into a mini-empire since Steve "Roc" Boncheck, founder of Harmony School, started it 12 years ago as a rock club run by Harmony School teens. Boncheck taught teenagers how to book bands, collect ticket money and conduct general business operation skills. A few years later, Rhino's added its afternoon programs. Two of the programs created regularly broadcast radio and TV programs. "Youth Radio," which meets Thursdays to produce the show, is broadcast by WFHB-FM (91.3/98.1) from 5 to 10 p.m. each Saturday and "Youth Video" airs once a month on CATS (Channel 3).\nLocal youths also can produce their own journalism in a monthly publication. Rhino's arts program also creates the murals displayed in People's Park.\nAll these programs are implemented with professional staffing and support from the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department and are free of chargeto youths aged 13 to 18.\nLast year's working budget for Rhino's was $96,460. With this money, Rhino's served 1,200 young people, half of whom were at-risk according to federal guidelines. \n"Kids come to us through the parks department, school system, referrals, but most importantly, word of mouth. 'At-risk' could apply to nearly all youth," said Manager Brad Wilhelm.\nThe concert production programs at Rhino's have continued. \n"Rhino's is a great place to hear live music" said Bob Nugent, assistant director and booking agent for Rhino's. "Our capacity is 200 people, so concerts are intimate experiences. The band is right in your face -- one of the best things about it." \nNugent started going to Rhino's as a teen in 1993. He started volunteer work there in 1994 and a paid job in 2001.\nNugent said he expects several upcoming concerts to sell out. September's highlights include Dog Fashion Disco and Tub Ring Sept. 10 and MU330 Sept. 14.\nNugent said Dog Fashion Disco and Tub Ring are among his favorite acts.\n"You will never see a more energetic and intense group than these guys. They're incredible." Nugent said.\nMurder by Death, a successful gothic rock band , will be playing Rhino's with Chin up Sept. 18.\n"I see (Murder by Death) as wild west horror movie, cowboys and zombies," Nugent said. "But if you are a fan of punk, hard core rock ... anything not mainstream, then this is the place for you." \nAdditional information about the afternoon programs and concerts, including contact information for volunteering at Rhino's is available at its Web site: www.bloomington.in.us/~rhinos.\n-- Contact staff writer Maurina Paradise at paradise@indiana.edu.