Punishment is well-deserved

With the help of comic legend executive producer Stan Lee, Marvel Comics produces a fine production better than "Daredevil." Though this movie is about as good as "Spiderman," "The Punisher" veers from the blockbuster route as it portrays a gritty tale of this disturbed character. \nDirector Jonathon Hensleigh mentions in the special features how he would use no computer enhancements for action scenes, and it is apparent as the stunts are incredibly realistic. The lack of computer dependence, along with Tom Jane choosing to do most of his own stunts as Frank Castle/Punisher, gives a very believable feel to the movie.\nThe intricate romance with neighbor Joan, played by Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, also makes this a believable and realistic story. As they both grapple with demons, they do not ride off into the sunset, but it is her advice that saves The Punisher from the ultimate self-inflicted punishment. \nWe see the character portrayed as we have in Marvel Comics in the past few years -- as an action hero, not a superhero fighting alongside Spiderman and Captain America. This is well-revealed in the special features by the "Army of One: Punisher Origins" and Tim Bradsteet's amazing photographic cover art and movie posters from the past three years of "The Punisher."\nThough formulaic, it is the quintessential vigilante action movie with some elements of horror, as portrayed in the villain's (Howard Saint played by John Travolta) mansion. It resembles "Batman" and "The Crow," but is very much its own movie. The best part of the story is how The Punisher does not dodge bullets in a hokey manner, but avoids them by his wit. Instead of superhuman strength, he has nearly superhuman intelligence along with meticulous planning abilities which allow him to punish the Saint family for taking away his own. In his own words: "This is not vengeance ... It's punishment"