Law targets repeat drunk drivers

Monroe County lacks required Breathalyzer program

A new Indiana state law requiring Ignition Interlock Devices, or Breathalyzers, to be installed in the vehicles of drivers who have been convicted of drunk driving was enacted this summer. Still, Monroe County currently doesn't have its own Vehicle Ignition Interlock Program.\nThis law, which is supposed to prevent repeat violations, affects only offenders who are driving with probationary licenses.\nIf the Interlock Device, which is connected into the ignition system, detects a trace of alcohol on the driver's breath it will not start the car. \nPublic Bill 76, written by Representatives Ryan Dvorak, Bob Bischoff and Dennie Oxley, was enacted July 1. \nAccording to the law, "a (judge) order requiring an Ignition Interlock Device must remain in effect for at least two years but not more than four years."\nLinda Brady, chief probation officer of Monroe County, said the county does not have a program in place yet because no vendors have given sales demonstrations to the county.\n"Ten years ago we had an Interlock Program and a vendor who sold and maintained the devices," Brady said. "You can't just have a policy. You also have to have a local vendor." \nThe law states judges cannot sentence offenders to installation of the Breathalyzer in counties that do not have an Ignition Interlock Program.\nAdditionally, it requires the offender to pay the cost of installation. Anyone who intentionally tampers with the device or disables it can be charged with a class C misdemeanor.\nJohn Schorg, spokesman for the Indiana House Democrats said drinking and driving incidents have become more of an issue in recent years.\n"One of the tools that has been effective in recent years has been the Ignition Interlock system," Schorg said. "I like to think that the new law is directed to encourage other counties to get involved with the Ignition Interlock system." \nSchorg said since the state law has only been in place a short while, it will take time to evaluate its impact.\n"Accountability is important in this law," he said. "Driving in Indiana is a privilege not a right. This law also addresses the fact that people need cars. This is a way to allow people to continue to use their cars to go to work and pick up their children while being monitored."\nFreshman Aaron Greenberg thinks the new law is an invasion of privacy.\n"I don't think the stipulation in the law that it is a misdemeanor to render the device inoperable will prevent people from tampering with the device. How would you know?"\nFreshman Andrew Ludwig said he supported the law. \n"If you keep drinking and driving, you will put others in danger," he said. "If you drink, do it in a safe place. I would like to see the Ignition Interlock Program in Monroe County. There are a lot of college students that can be protected from drunk drivers if these devices are installed."\n-- Contact staff writer Karen Yancey at kaeyance@indiana.edu