world

Giuliani, McCain to focus on security in speeches

NEW YORK -- As the Republican National Convention begins today, Indiana's delegates will wake up two blocks from the World Trade Center site, as well as from a convention that will focus on President Bush's leadership and strength following the Sept. 11 attacks.\nWith only a short walk to the site of the worst terror attack on American soil, the 55 Republican delegates and their alternates from Indiana will make their way to Madison Square Garden for the beginning of the morning session at 10 a.m. today, which will feature New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Sen. John McCain of Arizona.\nFrom excerpts released by the Bush campaign Sunday night, both McCain and Giuliani will focus on President Bush's security experience and leadership following the Sept. 11 terror attacks in their speeches Monday night.\n"I think it's accurate," said Indiana alternate and Monroe County Republican Party Chairman John Shean, referring to the released portions of McCain's and Giuliani's speeches. "These Islamic fundamentalist terrorists really want to see the United States destroyed, removed from the planet. We're in a life or death struggle with these guys. The president is the kind of leader we would want to have."\nShean said he didn't think there would be a terrorist attack before the election because the country would then rally around the president, and he believes terrorists would rather see Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry in office.\nBoth security and terrorism have become the backdrop of the Republican convention, held for the first time in New York City. It is also the first Republican convention since the Sept. 11 terror attacks in the same city.\nWhile the delegates sleep, eat and relax in their hotel rooms, New York Police Department and U.S. Coast Guard boats circle Manhattan in what has become overwhelming security from NYPD, the Coast Guard and the Port Authority.\n"We have dogs walking through the building sniffing for bombs," said John Shean's wife and delegate, Cheryl, referring to the hotel where the Indiana delegates are staying. "There are cops everywhere."\nThe Sheans said they feel safe.\n"It's somewhat disconcerting because I'm not used to it," John said. "But I feel safe. The streets of New York are very safe now."\n-- Contact staff writer Josh Sanburn at jsanburn@indiana.edu.