Colts' Harrison has lofty goals

Pro Bowl wide receiver wants more than AFC title game

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Marvin Harrison defines success his own way.\nHe doesn't need to showboat after touchdowns, compare himself with other receivers or worry about his profile. In Harrison's world, anonymity is preferred to hype, productivity to publicity.\nNow entering his ninth NFL season with the Indianapolis Colts, the soft-spoken five-time Pro Bowler adheres to the same, simple philosophy with which he entered the league: Stay healthy, work hard, catch passes and win games.\n"I want to be 100 percent and I want to get better," he said Wednesday.\nFor opponents who already struggle to defend Harrison, it could be an ominous warning.\nThe NFL's best passing offense in 2003 produced two Pro Bowlers -- Harrison and quarterback Peyton Manning, the league's co-MVP -- and took the Colts to the AFC Championship game.\nNow Harrison is hoping to add a Super Bowl ring to his list of accomplishments.\n"That would mean an awful lot, not just for myself but for the organization and the city," he said. "It would put the ashes on my career."\nThat's not to suggest Harrison, who is in the final year of his contract, is going anywhere soon. He still enjoys the game too much and expects more of himself even though he's been the NFL's most consistent receiver over the past five years.\nHis league record of four straight 100-reception seasons ended in 2003 when he caught 94 passes for 1,272 yards and 10 touchdowns despite missing 1 1/2 games because of a strained right hamstring.\nTo most receivers, that would have been a career year. In Harrison's case, it's become routine.\nIn 2002, Harrison turned in one of the greatest seasons in league history.\nHis 143 receptions shattered Herman Moor's previous NFL record by 20. Harrison also finished with 1,722 yards, the fourth-highest total in league history, and nearly tied Michael Irvin's league mark for most 100-yard games in a season. Harrison had 10, Irvin 11.\nMore amazing is the fact that while defenses know Harrison will get the ball, they still can't stop him.\n"I see him as a silent assassin," backup receiver Aaron Moorehead said. "He makes all the plays he's supposed to make, and he makes all the plays he's not supposed to make. You can't ask for anything more."\nAt age 31, Harrison already has rewritten the Colts' record book. He has caught more passes for more yards and more touchdowns than any receiver in team history.\nSome contend Harrison has benefited from the Colts' wide-open attack and playing with Manning, a four-time Pro Bowler. But Harrison's teammates know better.\n"I'm most impressed with the way he practices," backup receiver Brad Pyatt said. "Most receivers look at practice and don't care if they get the ball. He wants the ball in practice."\nHarrison doesn't even like taking breaks. When backups are on the field during training camp, Harrison can usually be found moving around, stretching or discussing the next route.\nCoach Tony Dungy calls him an old-school player who fits the mold of two of his Hall-of-Fame teammates in Pittsburgh, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.\nWhat makes Harrison different, though, isn't style; it's the fluid hips that allow him to make quicker cuts.\nTeammates and opponents often say that what Harrison does best is make every route look the same, and few are capable of imitating it -- even when they're watching his every move.\n"He's a different type of guy because of his hips," Troy Walters said. "He's got moves like none other."\nAnd while it may appear there's little left for Harrison to achieve, he expects more of himself.\nHe wants to improve his yards per reception average. He wants to catch more passes and more touchdowns. He wants to help get the Colts to Jacksonville this February.\n"There's a lot of things to experiment with and work on," he said. "You're always trying to perfect the basics and expand your game. And we can definitely expand it"