AD search winding down

Committee gives Herbert name of one candidate

After three months of searching, IU will soon know who will lead its athletics department. IU Alumni Association President Ken Beckley, who is the leader of the search committee, said the search is now focused on one candidate and that an announcement will likely be made early next week. \nTerry Clapacs, vice president of administration and chief administrative officer for IU, has filled the role on an interim and then temporary basis since Nov. 2002. \nThe search, which was announced May 27, originally set a goal of making a decision and announcing the new athletics director by the end of the month.\nDespite not meeting the original goal, the search committee is not disappointed at all, Beckley said.\n"The search committee and the president have been working hard throughout the process," Beckley said. "If not for references being in Athens, Greece, we should have made an announcement or would be making one by the end of the day tomorrow. There is no harm in the delay."\nThe search process throughout has gone smoothly for the committee and only recently ran into troubles. IU President Adam Herbert is continuing to conduct the due diligence process, and is expected to talk with references regarding the candidate this week.\nHerbert did not immediately return phone messages Monday. \nWhile the 16-member search committee has been involved throughout the process of finding a new athletics director, the final phase will consist of Herbert, Beckley, Bruce Jaffee, professor of business and economics, and former IU football coach Bill Mallory.\nThere are currently no meetings planned this week, Beckley said.\n"It is now in the President's hands and he and I still talk at least once a day," Beckley said. "The President seems upbeat about the names given to him and what are learning about the primary candidate."\nOnce the new athletics director is selected, he or she will not have time to relax as there are many issues plaguing the department, including a budget deficit and the possibility of $65 million in facility upgrades.\nAfter the announcement of the search for a new director was announced, the search committee released an advertisement jointly with a Web site outlining qualifications, facts about the University and the athletics department.\nAmong the 12 qualifications the committee sought in a candidate were a commitment to academic and intercollegiate athletic excellence, a person of high ethics and values and a commitment to diversity.\nAlong with the advertisement was the announcement of a July 16 deadline for applicants to submit resumes to the committee.\nThe committee received a total of 100 applications by the deadline, though in recent weeks new candidates have emerged after the final list was narrowed to three to five.\nOnce a decision is announced, Clapacs will resume his full-time duties as an IU administrator.\nThe next athletics director will be IU's fourth in five years.