Trump to fund building of casino in Orange County

Indiana Gaming Commission awards construction contract

FRENCH LICK, Ind. -- The Donald proved resilient again, beating two other casino groups -- including one backed by hometown hero Larry Bird -- Tuesday for the bid to build a casino in this struggling community where movie stars once vacationed.\nResidents immediately celebrated the decision with draft beer, pizza and hot dogs as a band played "Happy Days are Here Again." They gathered in a room next to where the commission had met at the French Lick Springs Resort & Hotel, about 60 miles northwest of Louisville, Ky.\n"Isn't this great?" said Geneva Street, a hairdresser who lobbied for 10 years at the Statehouse for the casino. "It's like Christmas in July."\nIn a 4-2 vote with one abstention, the Indiana Gaming Commission awarded the contract to billionaire developer Donald Trump after an hour-long discussion at the end of two days of public hearings.\nCommissioners who voted for Trump said the developer had the support of a local committee that earlier in the day unanimously endorsed his bid. He also was strongly backed by those who spoke during a public hearing Monday night. They also said he had the best marketing strategy.\nTrump promised to open the casino with a parking garage and to give $10 million to the French Lick Resort and the West Baden Springs Hotel for restoration.\nTrump's proposal includes a deli, a buffet and an entertainment lounge. Trump has the added draw of Indiana golfer Fuzzy Zoeller, who has said he would partner with the billionaire.\nIt is going to be built next to the French Lick resort, one of two in the area popular with celebrities before the 1929 stock-market crash.\n"I think the locals are going to have to live with this a long time. To go against what they recommended, I'd have to have a very good reason," said gaming commission member Robert Barlow.\nThe commissioners said they were not as impressed by the offer made by Orange County Development, a group that includes the NBA's Indiana Pacers President Bird.\nThe project included a museum featuring Bird's basketball memorabilia. Any money Bird made in the partnership would have gone to a foundation he said would have generated $10.46 million for Orange County in 10 years.\nBut unlike the two other groups, which promised to spend more than $100 million on the project, Orange County Development was not willing to invest more than $60 million.\n"I found the details woefully lacking," said Maurice Ndukwu, a commission member.\nDon Vowels, gaming commission chairman, did say he was impressed that the Bird group did not appear to exaggerate its offer and was "very refreshing in their lack of hyperbole."\nThe two commissioners who voted against Trump's proposal favored the Lost River Group, which partnered an Indianapolis real estate company and a Chicago gaming operator. Lost River preferred building the casino next to the West Baden hotel, and proposed retail shops and bowling alley. It also said it had agreed to buy and restore the West Baden for $65 million.\nTrump already operates a Lake Michigan riverboat in Gary. Trump's casino company lost $87 million last year, but an executive told the state commission Monday that the company was going through a reorganization that would give it a strong balance sheet this year.\nCommissioners Ndukwu and Marya Rose, who voted against Trump, both said they were worried about the company's financial health.\n"I'm concerned about trying to overreach here, and that's why the Trump proposal gives me pause. I've got a financial concern about their stability, and is it really just too much?" Rose said.\nCommission member Ann Bochnowski countered with, "I have to take them on their word that their financial house will soon be in order."\nNdukwu said Trump's group had done a good job appealing to locals during meetings over the last several months. The group also has promoted his star power to attract celebrities and said he would attend the riverboat opening.\nThat was appealing news to many in Orange County, which consistently has one of the worst unemployment rankings in the state.\n"If anything, that's where Lost River group may have fallen short -- they didn't have same local support," Ndukwu said. "It's a shame because they actually had a very tight presentation and viable option for this community."\nRepresentatives from Lost River and Bird's group left the meeting Tuesday without commenting.\nTrump's group has said it expects to open the casino 16 months after receiving the bid.