'Kiss of Death' avoids sophomore slump

Jadakiss' second album, Kiss of Death, has the potential to move him beyond the pack to the top of rap. As the Lox slowly lose steam as a group, it's time for him to step up to the buzz he got from his first solo record, Kiss tha Game Goodbye. \nJadakiss mixes his hardcore east coast delivery with some R&B. Pharrell, Mariah Carey (Who really can't sing anymore, as evidenced by "U Make Me Wanna," which serves as further proof. Why do rappers elevate a Mariah record, yet whenever she's featured on a rapper's song, it's garbage?) and Nate Dogg sing a few bars, and the current single, "Why," featuring Anthony Hamilton, is a refreshingly political single with lyrics you can actually listen to. \nProduction credits on Kiss of Death are a who's who in the lab right now, including the Neptunes, Kanye West, Eminem and Ruff Ryders' go-to guy, Swizz Beats. Jada holds his own on the mic too, despite appearances from Snoop, Sheek, Styles, Eminem and Kanye. \nWith former Ruff Ryder head honcho DMX currently on hiatus from rap, the stage appears set for Jadakiss to carry the torch. He even admits he gets more love on the east coast than the west, but Kiss of Death should reach a few more ears and get him one step closer to rap's A-list.