Former student to direct state relations

JT. Forbes to leave position at Michigan State University

Former IU vice president of government relations and public affairs J Thomas Forbes was recently hired as IU's executive director of state relations.\nFor the last four years, Forbes has served as assistant vice president for university relations at Michigan State. \nFrom 1997 through 2001 Forbes worked as assistant vice president for public affairs and government relations at IU, and was a special assistant to the president and coordinator of federal relations for two more years. \nBeginning July 12, Forbes will leave MSU and begin working under Tom Healy, IU's vice president for government relations.\nHealy said he was impressed with Forbes's resume and has received positive feedback about the decision to hire Forbes.\n"JT. has had great experience working with the Indiana General Assembly and has broadened his background with his work at Michigan State University," Healy said. "He has the advantage of knowing many of the participants in the process and has matured to the point that I expect he will become a significant contributor to Indiana University's efforts in Indianapolis."\nForbes said when IU offered him the job, he was overjoyed because IU is a great American institution. He said the job is an important leadership position and describes himself as the quarterback for the state effort.\n"It is an exciting role," Forbes said. "It brings me closer to the front lines. I will be the point person for IU with the state legislature."\nForbes said the office he will be working in has a new team approach to state and government relations. He said it is the only way to win in the working environment, in which there is fierce competition from other universities for state funds.\n"I feel it will be really exciting to be part of a new government affairs office that has a team approach to government relations," Forbes said. "The team makes a holistic case. The state relations, federal relations and grass roots efforts all have to be working arm-in-arm."\nAssociate Director for State Relations Kathy Smith-Andrew, will be working with Forbes in his new position. Smith-Andrew said she worked with Forbes before while she was a senator and he was a policy analyst for the Indiana General Assembly.\n"We worked on child support, Aid to Families with Dependent Children and Medicaid reform legislation. He carefully followed each bill and he integrated many amendments into the legislation before the use of computers made that task a great deal easier," Smith-Andrews said. "He will be an asset to our team because he has legislative policy experience in Indianapolis, he knows the issues which face higher education and he is smart and dedicated."\nSmith-Andrew said this year is a budget year for Indiana. She said soon after Forbes takes his seat, IU's office of government relations will start working with IU President Adam Herbert in meeting with members of the general assembly and the governor's office to make a compelling case for IU's budget request for the next biennium.\nForbes, a former IU student body president from 1988-89, earned a bachelor's degree in political science and a master's degree in public affairs and philanthropic studies from IU.\nHe also worked in the legislative affairs office in student government.\n"I felt intimidated at first to be working with the executive director of state relations," Forbes said. "I think it is funny that after all these years I will now be that person."\n-- Contact staff writer Karen Yancey at kaeyance@indiana.edu.