Men's, women's tennis headed to NCAAs

Men head to Tulsa, Okla.; Women to Athens Ga.

Though both the men's and women's teams are out of contention for a team national championship, IU tennis players still have a chance to be national champions through the singles and doubles competitions this week.\nWomen's singles and doubles championships begin today and will continue Saturday in Athens, Ga., at the Dan Magill Tennis complex at the University of Georgia. The men's championship will be played Wednesday in Tulsa, Okla., at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center at the University of Tulsa.\nAfter a successful season in which the women's team was a co-Big Ten regular season champion and advanced to the NCAA tournament, the team will send the doubles tandem of sophomore Sarah Batty and senior Linda Tran, along with junior Dora Vastag, an alternate in the singles bracket tomorrow.\nBatty and Tran combined efforts during the season to clinch a 12-3 record and a No. 25 national ranking.\nPlaying on a national stage will not be new for this combo, as a tough schedule and competition in the NCAA tournament at Southern California will help them out, said IU women's coach Lin Loring.\n"It shouldn't be a big factor, they've been (in the spotlight before)," Loring said. "The tournament will be a more select field with great competition, and they will have to be really motivated and work hard."\nFor Tran, competing in the doubles championship will not be new, as she was selected in her sophomore season along with fellow senior Karie Schlukebir.\nTran said she feels her experience will be important when she and Batty meet up with the No. 9 team in the country and No. 3 seed Duke, with senior Amanda Johnson and freshman Tory Zawacki.\n"I think my experience from the previous NCAA tournament is vital, because I know what to expect," Tran said. "If we can play our percentages well on the court we can beat any team in the tournament."\nAs one of the alternates, Vastag's path is unclear at this point, She currently boasts a 19-12 record and a No. 52 ranking.\nDespite not knowing whether she'll participate in the tournament, Vastag said she remains confident.\n"I feel optimistic about playing in the tournament," she said. "I am the third alternate and last year five advanced into the draw."\nFor the men's team, only one player was able to advance to the tournament for IU, junior Jakub Praibis.\nPraibis has been leading the Hoosiers throughout the season as he has played at the top spot, along with achieving Big Ten Player of the Week honors in late February and being named to the All-Big Ten team.\nWith all the achievements for the No. 54 player, he said being selected to the the NCAA tournament is the best so far.\n"In the beginning I thought I might make the tournament," Praibis said. "Then I did not due to the injury, and at the end it was pretty surprising that I made it," referring to a wrist injury he suffered April 4 against Penn State.\nAlthough the competition will be tough for Praibis, having played at No. 1 spot for the past two years will aid him when he goes up against the nation's best.\nThough Praibis was surprised by his selection to the NCAA tournament, IU men's coach Ken Hydinger said he wasn't shocked that Praibis was selected for the tournament.\n"Jakub defeated a player that was ranked No. 8 (Doug Stewart of Virginia) this year and went three sets with a player who was ranked No. 1 (Jeremy Wurtzman of Ohio State) in the nation," Hydinger said. "Honestly, I would have been surprised and felt it unjust if Jakub had not been in the tournament."\nBatty and Tran will begin tomorrow, while Praibis will start his tournament run Wednesday.\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.