Batty and Tran advance to final 8

Praibis advances to 2nd round of men's singles tournament

The rest of the IU men's and women's tennis seasons might be over, but individual players on the teams are still leaving their mark on the NCAA singles and doubles championships.\nWith a win Wednesday, the doubles duo of sophomore Sarah Batty and senior Linda Tran advanced to the final eight of the NCAA tournament doubles championship, while junior Jakub Praibis notched his first NCAA tournament win in the men's singles championship.\nAfter an opening round victory, Batty and Tran (14-3) advanced to the round of 16 to face off against junior Heather Saluri and senior Anda Perianu, the No. 17 team from Oklahoma.\nThe Hoosiers had to go the distance in their first match, and a repeat performance would be needed in pursuit of a final eight spot.\nIn the first set, Batty and Tran cruised to a 6-3 victory in the second match. The tandem from Oklahoma staved off elimination by winning a close 7-6 decision in the second set.\nFor the second time in as many days, Batty and Tran had go to the third set in order to advance.\nIn a set that went back in forth throughout, with the score tied 5-5, Batty and Tran won the next two games to provide a 7-5 decision, allowing them to advance to the round of eight against the UCLA duo of Daniela Bercek and Lauren Fisher, the No. 23 team in the country.\nGetting the victory in 90 degree temperature was big in the close match, IU women's coach Lin Loring said.\n"(The match) could have gone either way," Loring said. "Throughout the match there were really long games, it was a shame that either team had to lose."\nWith the victory, Batty and Tran achieved All-American status, which can be attained by reaching the final eight in the doubles championships.\nAccomplishing All- American status is great honor, Tran said.\n"I am so happy to say I am an All-American," Tran said. "I worked so hard to get back here and we had a tough match today and I am just ecstatic."\nBefore advancing to the last 16, Tran and Batty made the most of the opportunity in their first round match against the No. 9 team and No. 3 seed of the tournament in Duke Tory Zawacki and Amanda Johnson.\nAfter losing the first set 7-6 (5), the team rebounded by winning the second set 6-2 forcing a third and decisive set.\nIn the third set, Batty and Tran overwhelmed the duo from Duke and won the final set 6-1, claiming the victory and advancing the round of 16.\nFor the men, the Hoosiers had the No. 54 ranked Praibis (16-6) representing the team in Tulsa, Okla.\nPraibis squared off against No. 59 senior Calle Henson (20-11) from Pepperdine and came away with a victory in three sets, 6-3, 3-6 and 7-6.\nPraibis grabbed an early lead and cruised on his way to capturing the first set. The second set proved to be more of a challenge as he fell behind and lost 6-3.\nIn the final set, Praibis showed why he was selected to compete in the tournament. Facing elimination being down 4-1, Praibis tied the match up and won the final set 7-6. \nComing back and winning in his first NCAA tournament match was a good feeling, Praibis said.\n"I'm pretty happy, especially after I didn't play my best throughout," Praibis said. "I was down mentally and the score (4-1), I was lucky to come back and win."\nWith the victory, Praibis moved to the second round to face a familiar foe, Big Ten rival Jeremy Wurtzman (41-4) of Ohio State, No. 3 player in the nation and the No. 3 seed in the tournament.\nThe last time Praibis faced Wurtzman was in Columbus, Ohio, and despite Praibis winning the first set 6-2, he lost the final two 6-4 and 6-0.\nWhen Praibis plays Wurtzman, he'll have to be sure not to back down against him, IU men's coach Ken Hydinger said.\n"He can't let up against (Wurtzman)," Hydinger said. "He has to keep him on the defensive and jump all over him."\nBatty and Tran will try to advance against UCLA's Bercek and Fisher at 3 p.m. today in Athens Ga., at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, while Praibis will resume his run in the tournament at 9 a.m. today in Tulsa Okla., at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.