Singing Hoosiers blend pop, classical, Broadway styles

He lifted his hands and the giggles and scattered conversations immediately transformed into song. Director Michael Schwartzkopf and the Singing Hoosiers struggled Tuesday afternoon at rehearsal to turn their expansive repertoire into a full-fledged musical production.\nThe spring concert, "A Celebration of American Popular Song," will take center stage at 8 p.m. Saturday at the IU Auditorium.\n"This concert is a culmination of the entire year," Schwartzkopf said. \nThe students have been learning this year's new music since September. Throughout the school year, various groups of Singing Hoosiers travel to road shows in Indiana and across the country. The students meet everyday for rehearsal in the music school and have extra rehearsals closer to big shows -- such as the spring concert. Schwartzkopf said they sing a variety of music, from pop and Broadway to classical and traditional songs. \nThe Singing Hoosiers began 54 years ago and when Schwartzkopf attended school here, and he was one of the members.\n"My experience in the group made me familiar with its goals and missions and its purpose for existing," Schwartzkopf said. "First of all, it's educational for the students. I couldn't tell you how many students go on to pursue a career in the performing arts." \nSenior Zach Frank, choreographer for the select ensemble of Singing Hoosiers dancers known as the Varsity Singers, is one of the students planning to continue on in the world of song and dance. He already has a job lined up to perform on a Holland America cruise ship from late June through February.\nHe plans to live off of the money from this endeavor while auditioning for other shows. \nApproaching his fourth spring concert, Frank said he has a lot more on his mind this year as the choreographer.\n"I want to not worry about what everyone else is doing. ... I need to look out and do my performance. \nMy goal is to prepare everyone else enough so that I don't need to worry about them," Frank said. "I know I'll get out on stage and start looking around to make sure everyone's in their right spots. This whole week has been like, 'Show me that you know this.'"\nHis choreography comes from his participation in competition dance and musical theater. \n"I try to avoid the high school show choir type of movement," he said. "Occasionally, when I'm pressed for time, I use some of that."\nFrank said his experiences in the group have taught him how to be the performer he is today. \n"The number one thing with this group is that it teaches you how to be a performer in no time at all," Frank said. "We learn music and choreography on the bus before a show sometimes. I was given all the music to choreograph for the spring concert two weeks ago. Things are really last minute, but they always seem to fall together."\nSenior Marcus Calderon, also the student manager for the group, said one of his goals for the shows is not to forget any of his dance steps.\n"We learned all the stuff just a few weeks ago, and now it's down to the wire," Calderon said. "It's great when it all comes together right before the concert."\nAll the members of the Singing Hoosiers agree they are excited for the upcoming concert. "There is so much talent in the Singing Hoosiers," Calderon said. "This year, I think (Schwartzkopf) wanted to showcase as many people as he can. He can't give everyone their own solo, but the finest have an opportunity to shine." \nSchwartzkopf said the spring concert features more solos than usual this year.\nBesides the variety of soloists, the show will include music from "The Lion King" and "Seussical the Musical," as well as medleys by Cole Porter and Stephen Schwartz. \n"It's a very family-friendly show," Schwartzkopf said.\nTickets are on sale now at the IU Auditorium and through Ticketmaster by calling 855-1103. Reserved seating is from $12 to $24 for adults and from $10 to $12 for students and children.\n-- Contact staff writer Stacey Laskin at slaskin@indiana.edu.