Sunday, June 16

IU students show 'Street Smarts'

Many college students make extra money by working part time between classes, but IU students Daniel Brewer and Ashley Grogg took more of a gamble and played against each other for extra cash on the syndicated reality game show "Street Smarts." \n"Street Smarts" (11 a.m. weekdays on WTTV-TV) hosted by comedian Frank Nicotero, is a fast-paced, multi-round comedy game show in which two contestants face off to determine who can best predict the answers given by people on the street.\nBrewer and Grogg's episode, which will air May 13, is part of the show's special titled "Party School Smarts Week." Along with IU, the show will feature students from schools like University of Arizona, University of Florida and University of San Diego.\nLast fall, casting coordinators for "Street Smarts" walked around the IU campus handing out fliers. Brewer was approached walking into the Main Library. Soon after, he auditioned at the University Plaza Hotel. He said he had to fill out basic information forms, give a one-minute introduction of himself and tell his wildest party story during college. "Street Smarts" Executive Producer Carla Kaufman Sloan said the casting coordinators were looking for energetic people who would have fun on the show.\n"They just seemed like they were looking for an outgoing personality," Brewer said. "The casting coordinators were all thoroughly amused with my party story."\nOnce selected out of about 1,250 people, Brewer and Grogg flew to Burbank, Calif. in February, where the show paid for their hotel rooms and transportation, Kaufman Sloan said. They were also each given a stipend for each day they were there.\nDuring filming breaks, both Brewer and Grogg were given a "pep talk" for the next round. \n"They hinted about gestures and personality, and even during taping, there were people behind the cameras holding up signs saying, 'More energy.'" Brewer said. "During the breaks, they'd come up to you with a bottle of water and say something like, 'You're doing great.' I felt like I was in a boxing match or something."\nBrewer said it took some getting used to.\n"There are so many things going on at once that sometimes I lost focus and couldn't even hear the question," Brewer said. "You really gotta have good stage presence and awareness."\nBrewer said a lot of people have heard about him being on the show. \n"They always ask, 'So, are you one of those idiots out in the field they talk to, or are you a contestant?'" he said. "I always have to clear that up first.\nFreshman Carrie Jones watches "Street Smarts" occasionally and was excited to hear IU students would be on the show.\n"It would crack me up if they were the idiots on the street," Jones said.\nIn the future, Brewer said he is interested in doing something with film. \n"I was able to get a good feel for what the atmosphere was like with filming in a studio..." Brewer said. "It was just a great learning experience." \n-- Contact staff writer Lori Snow at losnow@indiana.edu.