INPIRG faces problem with software

The new OneStart registration program could be the last stop for the Indiana Student Public Interest Research Group. \nSince 1997, INPIRG has had an agreement with the University that it must obtain a $5 pledge from 10 percent of the student body each semester to remain on campus. These pledges are obtained through in-person events throughout campus. With the Legacy System, which IU is abandoning next fall, pledges are checked against a database of enrolled students and those who pledged are billed by the Office of the Bursar.\nINPIRG is the only organization that uses this system. Proposals to keep INPIRG on campus could include a flat fee of under $1, though the board of trustees would have to approve it. \nWith the institution of PeopleSoft's new system, it could take up to 18 months to put a similar system in place for INPIRG, said Damon Sims, assistant vice chancellor of student affairs and associate dean of students.\n"The bottom line is that INPIRG would liked to be moved to the front of the line when they're at the end of it," Sims said, "and everybody wants to get their things done too."\nIn the meantime, INPIRG has been offered "optional check-off," which would give students the ability to check off a box to donate money to the group at registration. INPIRG has thus far rejected the offer.\n"INPIRG is a big idea that involves money issues, social issues and the environment and the idea of students having a bigger voice beyond the campus," said Megan Foster, INPIRG's campus organizer. "The idea of that having to be boiled down to a little box is just terrible. We need to get out there and have face-to-face conversations." \nSophomore Katie Wilkinson, INPIRG vice-board chair, argues the check-off system will not work for the group in the same way it does for other organizations who use it, such as IU Dance Marathon and the IU Rape Crisis Fund.\n"It's more obvious what those are," Wilkinson said. "If you want to give them money, you pretty much know beforehand."\nSims said there is no evidence INPIRG won't be able to obtain its 10 percent goal through optional check-off.\nINPIRG offered to provide its own programmers to write new code into the PeopleSoft system, but the idea was rejected because of security concerns. Dropping the 10 percent requirement has also been brought up, but Wilkinson said at least that much is needed just for operational costs.\nINPIRG hopes to have a solution to the problem before students begin registering, though Bursar bills are not sent out until July.\nWilkinson said the group has enough money saved up to stay on campus through at least next semester while it continues to search for a solution.\n-- Contact senior writer Chris Freiberg at wfreiber@indiana.edu.