Choral ensemble prepares for diverse spring concert

Continuing in the rich tradition and culture of African-American performance and the African American Arts Institute, the African American Choral Ensemble will be presenting its full spring concert this Saturday night. \nThe African American Choral Ensemble was founded in 1975 and continues to be one of the most well-known ensembles at IU, most recently performing at the inauguration of President Adam Herbert Thursday afternoon. However, the ensemble members say their elevated status does come at a price. Eric Johnson, a senior majoring in general studies, said the practices take commitment. \nPractices are held twice a week and last about two hours each, in addition to the three smaller groups within the ensemble that hold separate practices and have an additional repertoire of music. Soul-ACE is the all male group; Sojourner is all female; and God's Progress is for male and female singers. This choral ensemble is one of three associated with the African American Arts Institute. It is a class in which all students receive IU credit, and it is also a performance ensemble that represents IU at many different venues throughout the school year.\nLast spring, the ensemble presented "Gospel at Colonus," which is based on Sophocles' Greek tragedy, "Oedipus at Colonus." Compared to that show, the students in the ensemble said this year's show will focus more on singing and the genre of music will be a little different.\n"We are doing a lot more spirituals with a higher level of difficulty, which has made us all grow as musicians," said Chauncey Duff, a senior majoring in folklore.\nThere are many different genres of music the choral ensemble performs, ranging from spirituals, folk, traditional and contemporary gospel music and the works of African-American composers. However, James E. Mumford, director of the African American Choral Ensemble, (affectionately called "Doc") said one problem the ensemble has to continuously face is the fact that many people do not think there are different genres of black choral music.\n"There are many black styles of music, and people don't understand it's one of the problems that we are continuously plagued by," Mumford said. "But once they hear us, they understand and are able to actually see the difference."\nThe singers said the audience should be prepared to see a totally different show than the one last year because of the implementation of a more diverse music program. Mary Davis, a junior majoring in biology, said the company has had more of an interest in music from the African Diaspora in comparison to earlier years. Davis also has added a more personal aspect to the ensemble. \n"We have come together even more this year as an ensemble in comparison to years past," Davis said. \nThe show will begin at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Advance tickets are $8 for students and seniors and $13 for adults. Show day prices will be $12 for students and seniors and $17 for adults. For more information about the African American Choral Ensemble Spring Concert, contact the theater's Sunrise Ticket Office at 323-3020.\n-- Contact staff writer Ronni Moore at rlmoore@indiana.edu.