A Phil-y tale ending

I can't shoot under 100. I can't drive the ball straight. I can't putt on level greens. I can't differentiate my irons -- heck, I can't even be a member at some golf clubs.\nI don't wear golf shoes. I don't own my own clubs. I don't even know how to comprehend a handicap, let alone read a green -- heck, I couldn't find the next tee with a map and a compass.\nI once got a birdie, followed it with a 13, then smashed my iron before launching the ball into the forest. Heck, I usually play a hole from the one running parallel to it. Not to mention I once got so tired I almost passed out in the sand.\nI was only on hole 5. \nBut watching the Masters this weekend, I admired Arnold Palmer, sympathized with Tom Watson, respected every par, applauded every birdie, cheered for every eagle and at last, stood in my own room and gave a standing ovation for a most-deserving Phil Mickelson.\nFor once, I watched golf in complete awe of the shots without hearing about Tiger. For a man always playing second fiddle to Woods, Phil finally -- and not a day too late -- earned his stripes. \nBut this weekend all began with a man I never saw play. \nMy knowledge of golf history is limited to a Shark, a Golden Bear and now Arnie's Army. \nI wondered how much Arnold Palmer really meant to the game of golf.\nI then watched him play his final Masters ever. Golf is traditionalized for its standing ovations walking up the 18th fairway. How much is Palmer respected?\nFriday, he got one at every fairway. \nPlaying in his 50th consecutive Masters, Palmer walked up to the 18th green and received a standing ovation from the gallery, the tournament officials, the broadcasters and his peers. \nCBS announcers removed their headsets, stood up and for a minute, showed their love and appreciation for Arnie. \nThat's respect. \nHe wouldn't just sign your hat, he'd do it with care. He wouldn't just wave to the gallery and his fans but, instead, make them feel a part of the game. He was one with his fans and to them, there was only one leader of the army. \nPalmer is a legendary face for golf. With his grandson as his caddy, Palmer walked up the historic 18th fairway at Augusta, pulled out an iron and stuck the shot shot square on the green. He then called it a day. His last at the Masters. \nBut the magic of Augusta did not stop Friday.\nOn the last day of the Masters, the final nine holes were nothing short of brilliant. \nA hole that's seen seven holes in one in 67 years had two in back-to-back groups, one of which belonged to Kirk Triplett who, after sinking his shot, fell on the ground laughing, kicking his legs and celebrating on his back. \nThat's love. That's golf.\nBut this day belonged to none other than Phil, who could never talk to the media without hearing about the zero major titles. \nHis approach on 18 left him 20 feet from ending the most talked about drought in recent golf history. He's always been known for being good, but just not good enough. \nWith golf fans everywhere wanting one of the sport's most popular players to win, Phil drained the putt and earned his green jacket. \nAfter a jubilus celebration on the green, he picked up his little girl and said, "Daddy won, can you believe it?" \nProbably not at that age.\nWho knows, but thanks to you Phil, every golfer believes now. \nEven me.