3 frats bring Guster for Little 500 concert

The gates to the backyard of Phi Delta Theta will open at 5 p.m. Wednesday in preparation for Guster's debut as a musical appearance for this year's Little 500 festivities.\nPhi Delt, Phi Kappa Sigma and Kappa Sigma fraternities have teamed up to bring another well-known name in music to campus in hopes of raising not only interest in the Little 500 concert, but money for Riley's Children's Hospital as well.\nAmong the fraternities, the hunt has been on for a big-name band since September. \n"The main thing was everyone wanted a big band," said Phi Delt Philanthropy Chair Adam Levy. "When everyone found out, everyone was pretty amazed. A lot of guys pushed for them in the first place."\nWhen the fraternities looked for a band within their budget, Guster was the big group they decided on, said Levy. \n"It was the bang for your buck," he said.\nOpening up for the main act are, Mike and Joe, a local band that frequents The Bluebird, and Grahn Colton, an up-and-coming singer/songwriter.\nSince booking the bands over the past couple of months, enthusiasm and publicity has been quite high.\n"Everyone was really pumped (when we booked the band) -- it was definitely a very positive reaction in selling tickets and getting the ball rolling," said David Rifkin, concert chair for the Phi Sigs. "(The radio station) B97 has been doing radio spots, too." \nBesides the hype of having a big name in Bloomington, Rifkin has personal expectations for future Little 500s, as well.\n"My main goal is to bring Little Five back to what it used to be," said Rifkin. "It's been kinda down, it was just a matter of bringing it all together, and I think we've done that."\nAnd what a better way to celebrate the most famous week at IU?\n"It"s the biggest thing going on," said Rifkin. "What better to do on a Wednesday than to go to a big concert for $15? It should definitely be a fun show."\nPresident of Phi Sigs Mike Friedman agrees.\n"I'm so excited," he said. "It's amazing to pull in such a big name."\nAnd that big name might be just as excited as the rest of those who plan on attending the Little 500 philanthropy event.\n"Guster is actually really excited to play at IU," said Rifkin. "They haven't payed at a fraternity in 10 years."\nAs the anticipation increases with the event so close, Levy still doesn't believe Guster is playing in his own backyard.\n"The reality of them being in our backyard won't sink in until they're here," he said.\nGates open at 5 p.m. with Mike and Joe and Grahn Colton with Guster to play at 7 p.m.. Tickets are $15 ahead of time and $20 at the door.\n-- Contact copy chief Stacie Vasko at svasko@indiana.edu.