Tuition hikes cause statewide worry

Herbert, Kernan make pleas to board of trustees

INDIANAPOLIS -- The IU board of trustees held a statewide public forum on tuition at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis Tuesday afternoon.\nIU Vice President Judy Palmer outlined the proposed tuition increases for all eight IU campuses, noting each was under the 4 percent limit the Herbert administration had instituted.\nThe proposed increase for the Bloomington campus would raise tuition by $189.60 for in-state undergraduate students enrolled before summer 2003, as well as add a $30 mandatory fee for a total increase of 4 percent. In-state undergrads enrolled after the spring 2003 would pay an additional $229.60, as well as the mandatory fee, for a total increase of 4 percent.\nTuition for out-of-state students would be raised 6 percent under the proposal.\nIn-state graduate students would also be subject to a 4 percent tuition hike, while tuition for non-resident graduate students would be raised based on their specific programs.\n"We believe this proposal will allow us to maintain IU's educational quality and accessibility, and we believe it is sensitive to economic challenges facing students and parents," Palmer said.\nGov. Joe Kernan praised IU for attempting to keep tuition low.\n"We need to recognize the economic challenges we face in the state of Indiana and all over the country in the past few years have put a particular burden on families as they are striving to make sure their children have the kinds of opportunities IU has to offer and that they can afford them," Kernan said. "(IU) plays a critical role in educating young people who come from Indiana and from all over the world. The quality there continues to make it a place that people want to go to get an extraordinary education."\nRepeatedly, Palmer's proposal spoke about the need to attract and retain outstanding faculty and staff and cited this as part of the reason for the tuition increase.\nCurrently, IU ranks seventh in the Big Ten in average salaries for professors.\nEarlier this month, the Lilly Endowment announced $100 million in grants for Indiana schools to attract better faculty. But IU President Adam Herbert said this will have no effect on tuition.\n"If we are successful in developing a proposal the Endowment accepts, those funds would be used to further enhance the quality of the institution," Herbert said. "The tuition plan that is before the board speaks to the continuing operation of the campuses."\nIU Student Association President Casey Cox said with the institution of the Commitment to Excellence Fee this year, there was little reason for a large tuition increase. The Commitment to Excellence Fee added a mandatory $1,000 fee to the tuition of all incoming freshmen and transfer students.\n"From a student point of view, trying to gage rises in tuition and academic excellence is difficult," Cox said. "But I think this proposal does a good job of keeping tuition and fees as low as possible."\nThe board of trustees is expected to vote on tuition increase at its next meeting April 2 at IU-Southeast.\n-- Contact senior writer Chris Freiberg at wfreiber@indiana.edu.